How can I get my 2 1/2 month old to sleep in the bassinet again?

My 2 1/2 month old started out sleeping in a bassinet right next to our bed. He did fine until about 2 weeks ago and no matter what I did, would not sleep in it. He would only sleep in the bed with us, but I knew that was not safe, so I remembered that he sleeps wonderfully in his car seat. Needless to say, that's where he's slept for 2 weeks now. I don't want him to sleep in it forever, though. I think he may have reflux and feels better sleeping elevated. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem before and the best way to tackle it.

NursyLori

Asked by NursyLori at 6:08 AM on Dec. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We are cosleepers my hubby and I sleep with our little one and have since day one. You can search cosleeping to see the great benefits that come from cosleeping. As far as it not being safe there is a lot of evidence to suggest otherwise. Several countries such as most of Asia, Japan especially cosleep and they do NOT have increased risk of SIDS. Also there is a great cosleeping group here on CM that I highly recommend! Good luck~~~
    Sarahedger

Answer by Sarahedger at 8:01 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Hi NursyLori, my daughter is a reflux baby too and your story sounds a lot like mine :) Have you tried putting rolled up towels under her bassinette mattress to elevate it? My pediatrician recommended that. Or you could get a special reflux pillow for your child to sleep on. One thing you should absolutely do is get your child evaluated for reflux--if that is his problem then he needs to go on medication. Trust your instincts! Good luck!
    fanficbug

Answer by fanficbug at 10:14 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• we never used a bassinet, just the crib and the play pen. i put a pillow under the mattress to raise it up. and i do agree w/ sarahedger on the cosleeping issue. we didn't/don't cosleep tho, we don't have a big enough bed, but i don't view it as dangerous
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 11:23 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• I tried elevating the head of the mattress last night, but he still would not sleep in it. I tried until I was exhausted at about 3:30 this morning and broke down and put him back in the carseat and he fell right to sleep. Ugh!
    NursyLori

Answer by NursyLori at 2:23 AM on Dec. 15, 2009