Found dog.. given back?

I found a dog running down the street on Thanksgiving night. He was outside city limits at least 10 miles, in the middle of no where. So i brought him home. He turned out to be the sweetest dog I've ever seen. My kids loved him.
I live with my grandmother who isn't too fawn of animals. But she admitted the dog was very good.

Any way she somehow found who was claiming to be the owner and gave the dog back.

so my question is do i have a right to be upset? because honestly i am, I mean i found the dog and she just volunteered to find the owner and got rid of it. Now what do I tell my daughter when she comes back from her dad's house this week?!! to me... its the same as someone giving her a gift and me taking that gift and giving it to someone else.

Am i looking at this wrong or do i have right to be upset? i know what she did was in the end the right thing to do but shouldn't that have been my decision?

MOMMA111

Asked by MOMMA111 at 6:45 AM on Dec. 11, 2009 in Just for Fun

• well if you had lost your dog, wouldnt you want your dog back? Just because you found the dog does not mean you can keep it.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 6:56 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• It was never your dog in the first place. Someone lost it and it was returned to them. If you want a dog for your daughter I suggest going to a shelter and giving a TRULY homeless dog a loving home.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:00 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• See... I thought that too, but my thing is. The dog was at least 10 miles from the nearest town! running down a highway at 8:00 in the evening. The owners of that dog sure didn't care too much about it if he was that far from home!???
    MOMMA111

Answer by MOMMA111 at 7:01 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• That doesn't make it your dog. Dogs get out of fenced yards or run out open doors all the time. They can travel distances very quickly, especially when they're scared and out of their element. Seriously, let it go. It was never your dog and you have no claim to it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:07 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Of course you can miss the dog, but the dog was missing it's family too.
    Dogs escape att the time. We have a Malamute that escaped. She's about 40Kgs, and got out of a hole the size of a rabbit, blocked of with a slab of marble 3Ft, by 2Ft an inch and a hal thick.
    How fast can you run...?
    Can you run over 19MPH for hours and hours?
    It wasn't your dog.... and you have no right to say that the dogs owners don't care about it.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 7:25 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• You have every right to miss the dog, it sounds wonderful. Even though it is great that the owners got the dog back, still it has left a blank spot in your heart. It would be so nice if you would rescue another dog from the humane society. Now that you know how much your family likes dogs. Be sure that you get agreement from your grandmother if it is her house. I hope she'll agree and maybe even go along to help pick a new little furry friend out.

Answer by Bmat at 7:29 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• About telling your daughter. Tell her that the dog now is with her own family. Your daughter should understand how happy the dog must be now.

Answer by Bmat at 7:30 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• The dog may have escaped. Did he have a collar on with his owner's info? I would be upset if she didn't tell me first but the reality is, it isn't your dog. Get your daughter a puppy for Christmas ;)
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 8:23 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• ITS HER HOUSE HER RULES AND SHE DOESN'T LIKE ANIMALS. YOU HAVE TO RESPECT THAT. SHE SHOULD HAVE TOLD YOU BUT SHE DIDN'T, SHES OLDER AND PROBABLY LOOKS AT IT LIKE THIS. I WOULD TELL YOUR DAUGHTER THAT THE DOG BELONGED TO ANOTHER FAMILY AND THEY HAVE THEIR FAMILY MEMBER BACK AND ACT VERY HAPPY, TELL HER HOW WONDERFUL FOR THAT FAMILY THAT THEY WON'T BE WORRIED ABOUT ANYTHING DURING THE HOLIDAYS--THAT FAMILY MADE THAT DOG A GOOD DOG DON'T WORRY WHEN YOU GET YOUR OWN HOME YOU AND YOUR DAUGHTER CAN PICK OUT YOUR OWN DOG THAT YOU CAN TRAIN. GOOD LUCK, YOU ARE VERY LUCKY TO HAVE A FAMILY MEMBER WILLING TO LET YOU LIVE WITH HER YOU ARE TRUELY BLESSED. EVEN THOUGH YOUR HURT COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS DOGS ARE EXPENSIVE SHE SAVED YOU MONEY THAT YOU CAN USE FOR YOUR OWN PLACE. LET IT GO AND CONSIDER YOURSELF LUCKY.
    ohio4

Answer by ohio4 at 12:24 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• I think the above post is right. Even though the dog was far from home...it was not your dog. Our dog ran off once. We lived in the country. I put signs up everywhere. I would get calls from people all over the place saying they had seen him. It took us 10 days and he was finally found...by me driving around...about 9 miles from our home. I never thought I would see him again. Your DD is sad I am sure, but my kids were so happy to see their dog, they cried! I hope one day you have a home and pets of your own.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:01 PM on Dec. 11, 2009