What's really good to take for a sinus infection?

It's starting to bother my ears and throat now and seems to be getting worse.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:02 AM on Dec. 11, 2009 in Health

• An antibiotic. Nothing else will clear up an infection. And the longer you wait, the harder it will be to get rid of it.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 7:13 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• I am just getting over one. An antibiotic is what finally helped me get better. My ear hurt, and my throat was so sore I couldn't swallow, quite apart from the bad headache in one side of my head and the sinus aches in my face. I also didn't realize it until a couple days later, but I had chest congestion. Mucinex is what my doctor also recommended, and a couple prescription nasal sprays. I also took airborne, used my netipot twice a day to help rinse stuff out. My recommendation is to get an antibiotic before the infection gets worse. Good luck! I hope you feel better soon.

Answer by Bmat at 7:19 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Get a neti pot. I actually had a sinus infection recently, an the antibiotic didn't help- it was completely viral. The neti pot is basically a pot that you fill with a luke-warm salt and baking soda solution. You then rinse out your sinuses with the mixture. I know is sounds gross, but it's not uncomfortable or anything. You will be surprised at what comes out, and how soon you feel better. Google it out for more info.
    dawpea

Answer by dawpea at 9:01 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• There's a difference between sinus congestion and a sinus infection. If the mucus is greenish, you need the antibiotics. Don't wait until it gets into your lungs and causes pneumonia, BTDT. If it's yellow mucus, drink orange juice, take vitamin C, drink plenty of liquids. Otherwise, go to the doctor. JMO.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 10:04 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• I agree that antibiotics are what you need but to keep it from happening again buy a Neti Pot.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:41 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Neti pot
    Lots of peppermint tea - peppermint is a natural decongetant
    For sore throat and cough, make a syrup with equal parts honey (anti-bacterial) and cayenne pepper (anti-inflammatory)
    Lots of liquids!!
    Feel better!!!

Answer by rkoloms at 12:40 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• The mucus isn't green. It's clear and pale yellow.
    -OP
    Anonymous