Gestational Diabetes Test at 36 1/2 weeks. Scored 252 =-(

So I just had my gestational diabetes test. I asked what I scored and was told 252. Going in tomorrow to talk to the Dr about it. They are going to give me the finger pricker to test myself throughout the day eating normally and stuff. Do you think the extra high score could have to do with testing so late? Or perhaps that pizza was eaten about an hour and a half before starting the test? Baby is and has always measured perfectly as well as all ultrasounds showing a perfectly normal healthy baby. I'm nervous =/

BabyMomma1982

Asked by BabyMomma1982 at 7:22 AM on Dec. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• umm i think you arent supposed toeat heavey before that test due to a high score so they might make you go for the 3 hour one to see what happenes but i think the pizza through the test off usually your supposed to eat sumthn light an pizza lol is not light so ur fine theyll make u retest!!!
    ohmama213

Answer by ohmama213 at 7:26 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• What ohmama said!

You're not supposed to eat ANYTHING for at least 12 hours prior to the test! This is why your score was so high. Glucose is the sugar in your blood created when food is digested/absorbed. So when they tested your blood/urine, the results were based on the "byproducts" of that pizza you ate! I'm surprised the nurses didn't explain this to you, and stress the fact that you were to fast prior to the test (or include it in the directions) when they gave you the orange flavored drink!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:37 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• I sure wish my Dr has freakin told me that. Instead she said, nah go ahead and eat! What the crap is that! Well hopefully tomorrow my finger prick test will show normal. Nobody told me no eating. Well, I had heard that you aren't supposed to eat, so I asked and she said eat whatever. She made it seem like no biggy. Grrrrr perhaps she'll let me take the 1 hour test again. 3 hour test seems HORRID. Sitting at the office for the one hour was enough to make me go insane.
    BabyMomma1982

Answer by BabyMomma1982 at 7:46 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Ok, except, if your pancreas is working normally, you should never get to 252 no matter what you eat. Two hours after eating anything your blood sugar should be below 140. If your blood sugar reaches over 200 at anytime you have impaired glucose tolerance. I would think he'd have you do the three hour, but 252 is still too high. If it turns out you have gestational diabetes, it can be managed. I had it with baby 1 and controlled it with diet and exercise ended up with a baby 7lbs 12 ounces. Changing to the diabetic diet wasn't a big deal either. Don't sweat it, it'll be fine as long as you follow what they say.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 7:47 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• wow I ma IR and was told anything over 100 was considered high.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:12 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• I'm wondering what mine will say I had mine at 30 weeks, and had no clue they were doing it that morning, so we'll see what mine is the 29th of this month? Kind of strange they're doing it so late.. So I'm glad to see someone else had theirs done late too lol..
    MizMzBowz

Answer by MizMzBowz at 11:34 AM on Dec. 11, 2009