How do you handle your drama queen?

My dd is 6 yrs. old and ever since she was younger she has always been the drama queen I am sure some of you mom's know what I am saying here. OMG!!! last night was the worst I don't want to go into details bc it is sooo long to explain but damn she makes me so upset when she acts this way. I can't take the crying, whining, talking back you name it. She does really good with daddy and she tries to pull this shit with him but only so far but with me omg I don't know what else to do in a positive way of course I don't want to baby her or give it to what she wants.

So how do you handle the drama?

Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:01 AM on Dec. 11, 2009 in Just for Fun

• wearing crownDrama queens need attention so give it to her so she doesn't have to be dramatic to get it. I was the drama queen in my family and if I got the attention I needed I wouldn't have had to do silly things to get it.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:18 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Three strikes you're out. Or if I'm in a better mood, (LOL!) I tell them if they whine again or get upset over something stupid again, I'm calling Santa (and I have his number -fake- on my cell phone, so they know I'm not joking around!)
    tikigoddess

Answer by tikigoddess at 9:21 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• I say something like "If you feel the need to behave that way go to your room and do it there. You may come out when you can talk calmly"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• I ignore my girls when they get all dramatic. Or, if I'm in a good mood, I copy their behavior and exaggerate it so they can see how ridiculous they sound. If they continue to get on my nerves after I've told them to knock it off they get sent to their room where they can be as dramatic as they want...but away from me.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:25 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• We joke that our 5 year old is a total Drama King! It gets pretty ridiculous. We just try to ignore him until he is done then talk to him about why he was acting like he was. I think it is probably just the age. I absolutly don't give him what he wants b/c then he will think that is how you gt things! Good luck!! :)
    LUVWJ

Answer by LUVWJ at 9:32 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Drama queens do need a lot of attention, that is very true. I have one too, & she is SO SENSITIVE! I usually just give her two choices, & i let her choose her fate. If she wants to listen & cooperate, awesome! Things will go snoothly. If she does not want to listen & cooperate, then she can choose to be dicsilplined (what ever suits the circumstance) She knows now though...as soon as i say "OK, you have two choices" she knows what to do. Letting children choose thier own consequence is one of the best ways to teach them how to do the right thing. You just have to stick to your guns, & don't let their "hurt feelins" make you feel sorry for them.

My DD likes to act as if i broke her heart, & yeah...i do feel bad sometimes, but i know she is just trying to play me, & make me feel sorry for HER when she was the one misbehaving.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:59 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• My 6 yr old is a total drama king. he milks the situation to the extreme. If his brother pinches him, he screams and cries like he had ripped his arm off or something. He got the h1n1 shot yesterday, he bawled and then he hobbled for a couple of hours. Everything is a challenge. Most of the time we tell him to cut out the whining b/c we can't understand him when he whines. The other exaggerated actions are ignored. His over the top crap is not going to be rewarded.
    tabbykat6802

Answer by tabbykat6802 at 10:12 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Get back to me in about 10 yrs. You think she is bad now? Just you wait! I currently have a 19, 16 and 14 yr old DD in my house. ESTROGEN NIGHTMARE!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:46 PM on Dec. 11, 2009