Do you teach you child(ren) the true meaning of Christmas? Or does Santa rule you house?

It seems like a lot of people allow Santa to rule the house during the holidays. So many children expect Santa to get them things on their Xmas list. But how many can tell you what the Nativity scenes are? Who is in them and why?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on Dec. 11, 2009 in Holidays

• We're not religious so we don't do nativity scenes.

Christmas is a secular holiday in the US. Some of you keep your (stolen) religious traditions intact at this time of year and that is great for you; but not everyone.

However while we do "believe" in Santa in our home; my children are taught about Love; Joy; Kindness; Compassion; Generosity; Humility; and Gratitude all year long; not just in December.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• BOTH! My son can't wait for a Fat man to leave presents under our tree, family to come in town, yummy food around the table and to celebrate the birth of Christ. So it isnt ALL or nothing like your question makes it sound!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• We don't celebrate christmas for the birth of christ, we don't believe in it. So for us, it's all about santa and letting our kids imaginations run wild! The joy in the face and eyes, along with spending the time with family and friends. We go look at the lights every year, listen to christmas music all month long.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• I teach my kids the reason for our Christmas...to spend time together and partake in traditions that have been passed down through the generations. So we put up the tree and we decorated with some ornaments that are as old as I am. They have their stockings which look exactly like the one I had as a kid with my name stitched in yarn (I put "Mommy" on the other side and still use the same stocking).
    We have our roast beef Christmas dinner on Christmas Eve and Santa comes to eat his cookies and leave us stuff.
    That's what Christmas is about for us. Nothing more.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:30 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• santa rules the house.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:31 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• We talk to the kids about Christmas being a time for family togetherness and peace. We're not Christian, but I also don't want to make Christmas nothing but a gigantic gift grab. So I think this gives them a little tradtition, and a little gift grab at the same time.
    And if you're wondering why I'm not Christian but celebrate Christmas, I grew up in a nominally Christian family. We always celebrated in a relatively secular fashion. I still enjoy the Christmas season and like watching my kids enjoy the same activities that I loved as a child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Both, life is good!
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 9:53 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• i dont do nativity scenes either....i think after this year, we might stop doing the presents (not all together) and explain why we celebrate christmas
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 10:16 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• We're not religious, so we don't do baby Jesus and nativity scene stuff. Maybe when she's older we'll tell her what Christians believe, but she will not be expected to believe in it. (That would be silly considering we're not Christians.)
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:20 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• The number of gifts depends if they been good a kid the entire year. There's where the option in the number of gifts. 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Dec. 11, 2009