What do you do when a professor gives you an unfair grade on an assignment?

i worked really hard on an assignment and the prof gave me a lot lower than I think I should have scored. some of the points taken off were indeed justified, but one part of the assignment she counted off 10 points for something she didn't explain how to do in the first place. She wrote one paragraph on how to complete that portion, I followed the directions and got docked 10 points basically for not reading her mind. I emailed her, but it doesn't look like she's going to budge on the grade. It's 30% of my overall grade and I could really use those 10 points.

lowencope

Asked by lowencope at 9:31 AM on Dec. 11, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Honestly, I feel for you.

You have to realize, if you don't completely understand something, or you want to be sure to get something right, you must ask questions-sometimes we feel people get annoyed, but why do something twice.

The professor is there to grade you, and although we think we may have deserved a better grade, it is up to them to decide. Maybe they expect more from you, who knows.

So, It is kind of a lesson. Be sure to ask questions, so there is not mix up next time. Hopefully, you will get the grade you deserve, it stinks I know but hang in there, you are doing something right.

Good Luck!!!
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 9:47 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Go talk to her
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 9:45 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Ask if she will allow you to do an assignment to make up the points

Answer by admckenzie at 9:49 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Definitely go talk to the professor & tell them EXACTLY why you think you deserve a better grade. I did that 2 times in college & BOTH thimes i got a better grade. Just make sure you have a good reason for it, you cannot just go to them & tell them you think you deserve a better grade. You have to give them a good explanation w/ good reason.

One time i got an essay changed from a 69 - 78

And then the other time, i got it changed from a 72 - 90

So yeah...good luck!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:53 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• You can try talking to the professor, but if you do be sure you are open and not defensive or accusatory. Tell her you really want to understand what you should have done in place of what you did do.  This is an occaission where you can practice your diplomacy skills.  If she won't budge you'll just have to deal with it.  When you get done with school you will find that things like this happen all the time in the professional world - you'll have bosses, supervisors, or even clients that expect you to "read their mind" when many times they don't even know what it is they are trying to ask you to do.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• My students used to petition for better grades all the time. The number one reason they did not get the grade they wanted was because they did not follow directions. Large assignments were listed on the syllabus with preliminary directions. Those were given on day 1 of the class. Additional information was given days or weeks before. It was written on the board and discussed as a group. Students also were given office hours to discuss their projects BEFORE the due date.

Good teachers give thorough directions. Good teachers are also lenient on students who participate in class, show up to class, turn in assignments on time, and stay engaged.

Good teachers HATE getting emails to complain about grades. Email is the worst way to talk with your professor. When we get an email, we assume the student is lazy and whiny. Go to office hours!!!

You could have a crappy professor.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:34 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• well it's an online class so we communicate by email. I've turned in all of my assignments on time and have gotten an A on almost all the homework
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 11:53 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Even though it is an online class, I am sure that the instructor has office hours. Make an appointment, and talk this out. Face-to-face is always best.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:30 PM on Dec. 11, 2009