Military Moms, I need help.

Dad is depolyed. My 2 and 4.5 year old girls are handelling it fine now. Except recently my oldest doesn't want to talk to Dad when she can. (Which is several times a week and video chat weekly) Then after he is gone she crys she didn't get to talk to him. I know she is a perfectionsit and this is part of it. But how do I help her to talk to Dad, so she and her Dad are not so unhappy and frustratted. She makes pictures for him daily, so he won't forget her. They send letter back and forth. They exchanged gifts before they left. How do I help her accept that talking on the phone and via video chat is all she can do until he comes home?

DevilInPigtails

Asked by DevilInPigtails at 10:14 AM on Dec. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• Do you have a video camera or a digital camera that you can take videos on? Maybe you can take some videos with your kiddos and send it to their Dad. Oh and sometimes the Moms and Dads that are deployed can make videos to send to the kiddos(such as them reading a kids book). It's possible that your daughter is just handling everything her own way for now. I'm sure she'll eventually understand that her Dad can ONLY talk at certain times. When my hubby is gone, I put little things in the mailbox ever so often for our son, and tell him it's from Daddy. Not anything big, sometimes a coin, sometimes a piece of candy attached to a card that says how proud of him he is and how much he misses him. Maybe you could do that, then when he's on video chat, she could get on to say thank you to him, and maybe that will lead on to a fuller conversation between the two of them. Good luck. ;)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Dec. 11, 2009