Police Say Maryland Woman Tried to Cut Out Unborn Baby

SUITLAND, Md. — A 29-year-old homeless woman has given birth to a baby girl after, police said, she was befriended by a Maryland woman who held her captive for several days and tried to cut the baby from her womb.

Officer Michelle Reedy, a spokeswoman for Prince George's County police, said 40-year-old Veronica Deramous of Suitland, Md., has been charged with attempted first-degree murder, false imprisonment and other related charges. Police said Deramous befriended Teka Adams at a southeast Washington homeless shelter and persuaded her to come to her apartment on Dec. 1 with a promise of baby clothes and other items for the unborn child.

Once there, Reedy said, Deramous bound the woman, who was in her third trimester. Days later, the woman escaped after Deramous tried to cut the unborn baby from her body, Reedy said.

This is so sickening. Have you heard about it?

mancosmomma

Asked by mancosmomma at 10:19 AM on Dec. 11, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Oh wow. Those kinds of stories scared the shit out of me when I was pregnant. Apparently that stuff happens more than we realize, especially in poorer countries. I was terrified that someone would grab me and try to take my baby or some crap. Some people are so deranged.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:25 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• yes I did hear about this, very sad!

gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:21 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• no i haven't where did you hear about it?
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 10:23 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• There are a few cases like this...How SICK

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:31 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• There have been several cases like this in the US and it freaked the hell out of me when I was pregnant! Especially because when I got pregnant with my second child, I was going to school and one of the woman in my class had been trying to get pregnant since she got married with no luck. When she found out I was pregnant, she gave me this LOOK, kinda scared me. Didn't help that my hormones were all over the place, I thought it was an actual possibility she would try something like this! This makes me so sad when I read stories like this, especially when the crazy women succeed in actually cutting the baby out and leaving the mother to die. Those poor babies!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• That is so sad. That is so scary. People are so nuts these days
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 11:11 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Sorry, forgot to add link

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,579753,00.html

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 11:18 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Very sick. She must be mentally ill, or maybe a long history of abuse. Very scary and sad.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 11:19 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Maybe she got the idea from watching "Private Practice" ? Some mentally ill people live a life that copies TV and movies. They do not see the difference and have no sense of right and wrong.
    Anonymous

• Yeah, Very disturbing how some people get so desperate.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 3:01 PM on Dec. 11, 2009