At what age did you let your daughter shave her legs?

I know someone who shaved their 7 year olds! Is that way too soon?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Dec. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• i started wanting to shave mine in 3rd grade. my gma rasied me. she cryed when i shaved in 3rd grade. she got me nair which didnt last long i still used razors.. i took them from my aunts house lmao ..
    BellaDiamond

Answer by BellaDiamond at 11:09 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• I think you should let them shave when it becomes dark and coarser and when they are self conscious about it. When I was in school if you had hairy legs you were ostracized.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• I shaved the summer before 5th grade. By middle school pretty much everyone is doing it.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 11:21 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Well, I guess to each their own. My girls are 15 and 11 and my older dd started about early 11 ish. Shes a year ahead in school and so that made her about 5th grade. The younger one is 11 1/2 and she started doing it sporadically about summer time. She has literally no hair on her legs and is blonde but she wanted to and now that she is a 6th grader and has to dress out for PE she wanted to. Im fine with it just as long as she doesnt hurt herself and is comfortable with the result. Both of my girls havent asked to do age inappropriate things so I havent had to say no to anything like that. They have both matured just about average. I do believe 7 is a bit young, but Im not that childs mom.
    momofsaee4

Answer by momofsaee4 at 11:27 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• we did my dd's this summer. she's 8.

it was really hard to do...she's my baby. BUT....she was so self conscious and embarrased (she got mommy's dark hair - not daddy's fair) - she never wore shorts or anything that showed her legs not even capris which would show the ankle.

so I helped her with the electric hair remover - not a real razor. we only did it twice - enough to make her feel more secure about herself and the personality change was amazing. she opened up and started having fun instead of worrying
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:56 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Nair sucks!

My kids aren't old enough yet; but I was blonde and didn't shave til I was in middle school. Now perhaps if your child has really dark hair; doing it the summer before middle school starts would be alright; but younger than that I don't feel is necessary. But to each their own.
    Anonymous

• If they have dark leg hair, let them shave when they are ready or getting teased about it. I started at age 9.
    Amberoz

Answer by Amberoz at 12:22 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• My daughter started recently. She is 12. She is very blond. I dont think she really needed to start but it was one of those "everyone else shaves" mentality & I figured it couldn't hurt anything. I shaved the first time at 13.
    Anonymous

• I will let my daughter shave her legs when she's in middle school, so 1 1/2 years to go.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 3:14 PM on Dec. 13, 2009