I mixed up my own kids... Am I a TERRIBLE mom?

I just had identical twins, it's our first day at home and I took off their hospital IDs and I mixed them up!! I don't know who's who. I have NO idea. I know I'm a terrible mom, but am I unaxceptable??

Oh, I can't stop crying...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Dec. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• awe .. mommy u will know them apart soon enough, dont worry... u just had them .. u have to get use too them :) in a few months u will look back on this and Laugh !! ur a great mom
    BellaDiamond

Answer by BellaDiamond at 11:06 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Calm down!! I have twins also, and my husband mixed them up plenty of times. Still does, and they are almost 4! But at least now they can tell him who they are! lol. Once you figure out who is who, put a dot of nailpolish on one of their toe nails...that way, you can always tell who is who. As to how to tell which one is which....I have no idea...I am sorry.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 11:06 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• No you are a normal twin mommy. I can't tell you how often that happened in the first few weeks with mine. I have identical girls. Look at it this way, you are probably sleep deprived, there are two of them that look just alike, and you are very tired. I am happy to say that both our sets of twins will survive. Mine are 12 and I still call them by the wrong name.

Congratulations and welcome to the strange and wonderful world of twins. PM me if you ever need advice, want to scream or anything like that.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:09 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• aw, that's so cute. Do you have their footprints from the hospital? You can get their footprints on a paper and match them with the ones from the hospital. Don't worry, you'll be fine. You are NOT a bad mommy!
    Emmagr

Answer by Emmagr at 11:09 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• You are not a terrible mom. I am sure that twins are mixed up all the time. Look that the patterns on their feet and the prints you got from the hospital then once you figure it out use the nail polish like fallnangel93 said or different color socks. Once you get used to them you will see the differences alot easier than everyone else. For the time being you have to remember that new moms are just that new. You are bound to do something not perfectly. Do not obssess about it and keep going on with daily life and enjoy your babies.
    SuzanneL09

Answer by SuzanneL09 at 11:13 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• I'm sorry but I had to laugh. I remember the horror I went through with this. I was horrified when I couldn't tell my kids apart and now I look back on it and laugh. I have identical triplets and once we took their ID bracelets off DH and I just looked at each other and said " Aww crap" while looking at the pile of bracelets on our nightstand. I called my mom crying and she reminded me that one had a birthmark on his butt, so I knew ok, one down, two more to identify. I had to compare foot imprints to tell the remaining two. Once I figured out who was who, I tied a loose piece of embroidery floss around their ankle. From there I knew red was Trevor, yellow was Taylor and green was Trenton. From then on I used a color coded system for almost everything.

It gets better, I promise.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 12:07 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• lmao...this is hilarious...i hope you laugh at it one day!
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 12:15 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• You are NOT a bad mom - you're a perfectly normal tired overwhelmed mommy of brand new twin babies! LIke someone else said - take the footprints, match them up with the ones from the hospital, and "mark" on of them somehow - and from now on, give each baby their own color (blue & green if boys, pink & purple if girls) and keep something of that color on each of them at all times so it doesn't happen again.
    Anonymous

• Have you beaten the babies?

Then you are not a terrible mom!

Heck, my mom mixed us up ALL THE TIME...and we were nowhere near identical twins. My BROTHER is two years younger than me. KNow how many times she called one of us by the other's name?

Too many times to count!

You're NORMAL. Even when they're not twins...babies tend to look alike. Why else are there cases of babies being switched at birth?

Answer by gdiamante at 6:27 PM on Dec. 11, 2009