Those moms who live where it snows a lot. Small vent and question about how long I can take my son outside with me.

There is a foot+ of snow outside today and more is coming down.. Normally I'd suit up and spend 2+ hours digging my car out, shoveling walks, and making paths for the dogs etc. With a teething no-napping-much baby, not precisely possible for me to do.. It's more than likely I won't get that done or go anywhere. Bummer, huh?

I may suit up later and put the monitor in my pocket and hurry to get done what I can outside while he takes another "nap". lol

To the advice part in this. I'm going to put him in his snowsuit etc. and take him outside in this later. Not for FOREVER but just for a bit, but how long? ;) He's 9 months old. I know, seems obvious "watch for him to get cold" - maybe I'm silly for not knowing - but how do I tell if he's getting cold?
Maybe I should just set a time limit, 30 minutes? 20?
I'm really warm blooded, so the advice in my baby book to come in when I am starting to feel cold isn't sound.

JamesAndMe

Asked by JamesAndMe at 11:06 AM on Dec. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldn't take him out at all at that age they tend to get ear infections alot and they're immune system is much weeker then say a 2 yr. old so he'll catch cold
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 11:10 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• I'd say when his nose is cold or when he gets cranky. I'm hot blooded too, but thankfully so was my son. He sweats when it's 65 degrees in our house. I'd say 15-20 minutes outside is fine. He'll probably want to play and explore. Being outside makes us happy and I don't think it's going to hurt him.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 11:11 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• as long as you have a hat on him and you have him bundled up baby should be fine ... its not the cold that is goin to give baby ear infection its the wind... and you cant keep him out of the cold because then he will get sick when you finally do take him out its better to get baby used to cold than to hide baby from it ...
    cammar424

Answer by cammar424 at 11:14 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• oh yeah and time... about 20 mins at first but then as he gets used to it you will be able to take him out alittle longer each time...
    cammar424

Answer by cammar424 at 11:15 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• When our daughter was that small, we would put her in a carried and wear her under a coat. If he is going to be outside, I would start with ten minutes at a time. if the temp is under 20.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:50 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• about 20 min, but get a wrap and wear him under your coat - you'll both be toasty and you can still shovel (did it with #3 after we moved into the city and HAD to shovel)

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 12:04 PM on Dec. 11, 2009