What is the Christmas spirit to you?

I love this time of year because of the christmas "spirit" I feel within, and from those around me. I realize a lot of people feel it is the spirit of their God, and I respect that. But for me, it is different than that.
I think it's more the feeling that we all realize we are brothers and sisters deserving of common courtesy and respect, simply because of our shared humanity. I love that christmas brings this out in people.
Do you feel that this time of year brings it out more in you or others? Or do you find people are worse this time of year?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 11:42 AM on Dec. 11, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think this time of year brings out a lot of nostalgia in people who remember all the wonderful times they had growing up and celebrating over the years. The gifts, smells, food, family, music, and so many other activities bring back the memories in bucketloads.

Not everyone experienced the same happy times, but may be reminded of not having enough, someone's death, or the stress of overspending.

It creates an interesting mix of celebrators and grumps.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 11:56 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• from my experience this time of year brings the worse out of people lol

necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 12:02 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• To me the "Christmas Spirit" is the essence of love, peace, and unity. To me this time of the year means I can celebrate family, history, and spirituality all at once! My brother's b-day is on Christmas, my moms b-day is in Dec., the winter solstice, Kwanzaa, and snow is what compels me to love this time of the year. Not to mention the good ole southern hospitality that everyone displays publicly. I love the lights, the songs, and the spuspense of gift giving and getting! But more than anything I LOVE EGGNOG, so I get to OD every Christmas (and Thanksgiving Day).

Cheers!santa green

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 12:09 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• I see the Christmas spirit as the feeling of unity that we get at the end of the year. We know this year is coming to an end, and that in just a few weeks the new year will begin. It'll be a rebirth, a new time to make better choices and memories.

And cheesy sentimental crap like that.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:27 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• I feel that we can spend it with family and Selebrate Christ's Birthday! Its all about him anyway..not just us!!!
    bonham

Answer by bonham at 12:41 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Q: What is the Christmas spirit to you?
    A: Santa Claus
    Anonymous

• My 'spirit of Christmas' is a time to come together with family and loved ones, to have hope for peace, to share togetherness.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:46 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• to me its the sentiments of peace on Earth & good will towards all that are the "Christmas spirit". ppl donating to the Salvation Army bell ringers or to Toys for Tots (and other charities) along w/ the idea behind "its better to give than to receive". most ppl have a smile on their face & a warm heart all in the name of this spirit.

but it seems lately that more & more ppl are over-consumed by the politics of the Winter holidays that they forget the good that is done in the name of Christmas, Yule, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, etc. they howl about taking "Christ outta Christmas" or that their kid "had" to sing a song about Santa. they get mad at a seasonal greeting that isnt their own or complain about things "not being like they use to be" for whatever stupid XYZ reason.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:08 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• love this "And cheesy sentimental crap like that." lmao. sounds like me.

Christmas season to me is about giving. and i teach my boys that the real Santa Clause is the spirit of giving and all people can be the real Santa. Anyone who gives a gift to someone or who wants to give is the "real" Santa. So far, they are really enjoying this interpretation of Santa.
    I feel that it brings out the best in some people and the worst in others.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:25 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• it's about believing (and more than just about Santa!) ;)
    it's magical and I love the lights, decorations, music, movies...
    it's a time to make good memories for those around you

I think it brings out the best in some people...and the worst in others!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 6:11 PM on Dec. 11, 2009