How can I get poop stains out of clothes?

My breast-fed daughter is having huge explosive poops that burst out the top of the diaper and go through several layers of clothes. Any tips for getting breast-fed-baby poop stains out? Thanks!

acs82

Asked by acs82 at 11:45 AM on Dec. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• rinse in cold asap.

then soak overnight in oxy (I use walmart brand oxy) works like a charm.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:48 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• I use oxyclean, seems to work with my daughter's clothes, and I know what you mean about the explosive poops, my daughter has let loose during a diaper change before...the oxyclean got it out of my clothes too, lol.
    heratyc

Answer by heratyc at 11:49 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• I use spray and wash on all of my daughters clothes, it is the only thing I have found that works.
    lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 11:50 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• I'd also suggest finding a different diaper. cloth diapered all three and never had a blowout
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:51 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Soak them in a mix of cold water and white vinegar before washing.
    Do not run the clothes through the dryer until the stain has come out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Spray and wash has a stain stick. It is great. I rub it one when i changed the diaper and throw it in the laundry. When I was it comes out.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 12:33 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• If you cloth diaper with prefolds or ones that need covers, get a diaper cover that has leg gussets like thirsties or bummis superbrites and they will contain the poop.

To get stains out wash in COLD on a long cycle with Ecover Non Chlorine Bleach (its the pure form of the main ingredient in oxyclean without the added filler of washing soda -- it is cheaper to buy them separately). 1 TBSP for a full load...if they are especially stained 2 TBSP.

Don't use the other chemicals suggested (like spray and wash and stain sticks). They linger on clothes and can cause hive, rashes, or contribute to excema on delicate skin.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:15 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Another tip is to listen for the poop... and undo the diaper...the baby will continue to poo but it will then have somewhere to go in the diaper other than up the back. Sure you'll have the pleasure of watching her poop in the open air, but it is better than cleaning up poop schmear.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:17 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• BAC-OUT. It's sold at whole foods, and isn't expensive. Pour some directly on the poo, let soak in overnight, wash on cold.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 3:44 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• I use this stuff you can get at Dollar General for $1!!! Its called 'Awesome' and it is! I run the clothes under cold water brushing the extra poop off and then spray on the awesome and scrub it with the brush and it works so great. If you dont get it in the wash right away be sure to leave it soaking in cold water till you can get it to the washer.
    MrsMommyBoss

Answer by MrsMommyBoss at 11:32 AM on Dec. 29, 2010