Do you think school days should be shorter, go Mon-Sat and all year long?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 12:14 PM on Dec. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• Being an inveterate homeschooler, I think school days should be like library days -- long hours but nothing but interesting people and interesting resources, even optional classes and workshops, but nothing mandatory, and no age segregation. People only learn what they're willing to, anyhow... but all the pressure and threats and social nonsense damages children, sometimes permanently.

I particularly believe that school should not be free babysitting, so the hours should have nothing at all to do with anyone else's hours --just the times that are popular for the interested learners who want to be there, for however long they decide to stay.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:28 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• no.

mine are in school 8:30-3:05 monday to friday

why change what's not broken?
    Anonymous

• There was a study done on teens and seems most of them aren't even fully awake and ready to soak up knowledge until after 11am. I like your idea Linda about students being able to go when they want and for how ever long they want. As long as they are learning and passing their tests, I don't see a problem there.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 12:33 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Shorter days? You must not work. It's hard enough to find care for the child around school hours without shortening the day.
    Anonymous

• No... simply because I don't want the weekend shrunk to one day. Those are virtually the only days we get to do things as a family together, especially since dh's work day has him seeing the kids only for an hour or two before their bedtime.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:59 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Something IS broken and does need fixed, but shortening the day and lengthening the week is NOT the answer.

Linda is on to something. I don't agree 100%, but I do think she is on to something.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 1:03 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• No! Actually... I think the school year should get back to what it used to be... not starting until AFTER Labor Day and getting out BEFORE Memorial Day. Their summers have already been stripped and shortened.

As for the longer school day, um.. no. I do however think they should be on block scheduling as some schools are. Only 4 classes per day and each class 120 minutes long. That would give them time to actually learn something.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 1:05 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• I would be for all year school with a few shorter breaks. I work and I think the summer is tooo long. They can easily forget things. I wouldnt mind the days being shorter and breaking up the summer but I wouldnt like saturday school, we love our wkends.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 1:37 PM on Dec. 11, 2009