Worried...

So for the past week, my 15 month old has suddenly been totally saturating his diapers at night... He's never done that before. He also had his first two major blowouts (again, overnight). His daycare provider told me this morning he's been peeing a lot more during the day too. He doesn't seem to be more thirsty than usual, and he's not acting sick at all, but now I'm worried about him possibly having diabetes (even though it doesn't run in the family at all)... I've already e-mailed his pediatrician, but has anybody ever experienced this and it turned out to be nothing major? The only thing I can think of that happened right before this started was that he got his 15 month shots last Thursday, along with a flu shot, and an H1N1 shot.

Anouck

Asked by Anouck at 12:18 PM on Dec. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• everything should be finr he is just getting a bigger bladder yay mommy your baby is growing good luck
    tiffandgene2009

Answer by tiffandgene2009 at 12:25 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• He's probably ready for the next size diaper - or needs to be changed more often - or is learning to control his bladder and lets it all loose at once, which is the first sign of potty training "readiness".
    Anonymous

• Start using overnight diapers and maybe go up a size. Huggies Overnights work great for us . . she never has a leak.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 7:27 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Bridget, I have been using Huggies Overnites, and they have been working just fine until the past week... He's not even close to reaching the weight limit on the size, either, so I know that's not it. He's just putting out a lot more urine than usual.

I've talked to my doctor, and I'm supposed to get a urine sample for them to test, just in case.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:29 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• The fact that it started so quickly after vaccinations would concern me, just because any sudden onset thing involving vaccines concerns me. However, this happens to my son sometimes after a mini growth spurt. Increased bladder size. Try counting ounces of liquid intake and looking at the foods he eats across the day. Also make sure that he's not eating anything that can pull water from his body (ie: caffeine, excessive salt).

I noticed that when my son started having "larger" pees, his overall diaper count across the day decreased. So instead of 8 or 9 moderately wet diapers, he'd have 4-6 soaked diapers. It was a precursor to his being ready to potty train.

Usually diabetes comes with an increase in thirst as well as an increase of urine output. So if you haven't noticed excessive thirst, it's probably something else. Although drinking more would make total sense since winter heating can be very drying.
    Gruntlings

Answer by Gruntlings at 10:00 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• (And my son was always one diaper size larger than the weight limits on the diapers. So it's a possibility that he does need a bigger size even if he's right in the correct weight limit. Try not to stress out too much, and see what the pedi says. You're a good mom for noticing and bringing it to the pediatrician's attention.)
    Gruntlings

Answer by Gruntlings at 10:02 PM on Dec. 11, 2009