How can I actually keep socks on my 3.5 year old?

My son refuses to wear socks of any kind- even ones he picks out himself. He puts them on just fine but within ten minutes they're off. Sometimes he puts them back on when we ask. Other times he refuses. Either way, they always come off. I've tried slippers, 'inside shoes', cool socks that he picked out, talking to him and explaining that he can get sick because it is cold... Am I just making a big deal out of it? Any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:18 PM on Dec. 11, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My 3 year old is the same way. She'll keep them on if we're out obviously but at home they'll end up on her hands being hand puppets within half an hour of putting them on her feet. I've decided to just let it go, she's old enough to know if her feet get cold to put them back on.
    Anonymous

• My kid wont wear socks either so I just bought him those pj's that you slip into and it covers his feet. He wears that all day until we are going somewhere. Thats when he has socks on but he doesnt take those off because he has shoes on. When we get home and he starts pulling his socks off we just put pj's back on him. Im hoping he will grow out of it.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 12:21 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Maybe if you try showing him that his favorite cartoon character wears socks? like "look spongebob wears socks! You should too!" or whoever he likes.. Make it a cool thing to do
    Anonymous

• my daughter is the same way .. i think it is just a normal thing that little ones go threw ... they grow outa it .. i wouldnt worry to much as long as he has shoes and socks on when you go outside
    cammar424

Answer by cammar424 at 12:22 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• He will not get sick because his feet are cold. He needs to be exposed to cold germs for that.. Yes it is normal for a child that age not to want to wear cloths much less socks. It will pass and don't worry about it unless you are going somewhere or outside to play.. If he does say mommy my feet are cold, tell him that is what the socks are for. Also the more you wear your socks the more he will see that its a good thing LOL.. My kids hated the seam at the toe, some brands are worse than others.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 12:38 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• If you're just around the house, don't worry about it. We never wear socks around the house - only if we're putting on shoes or boots to leave the house. You don't get sick by not wearing socks either, so quit telling him that. I'm almost 30 years old and hate socks, so let him be.
    Anonymous

• My kids rarely ever wear socks around the house and we have hardwood floors with no insulation in them. The floors feel like ice but they hate socks. That's their choice, I don't force them to put socks on. They aren't going to get sick because their feet are cold. They'll just be uncomfortable and when they whine I tell them they could fix it by putting socks on. Which they never do. Instead they drag their blankets around and wrap them around their legs. Kids.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:45 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Lol...good luck! Both my kids (ages 3 and 20 months) don't care for their socks. They'll wear them when we are out somewhere (like shopping or at grandma's house) but as soon as we come home they want them off. I'm the same way...I hate socks.
    grooveybabe004

Answer by grooveybabe004 at 1:50 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• OP-- Wow, my mom had me duped! She told me all my life I'd get sick if I never wore socks so that's what I always thought lol! Thanks for the answers guys! I guess I won't push it anymore. The only reason I did was because I believed he would get sick.
    Anonymous

• i would try some tights that what i had to use on my DD. If you put pants over them no one can tell an dhe cant take them off
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 5:58 AM on Dec. 13, 2009