rhinitis of pregnancy or something else?

So like a lot of other pregnant women I have stuffy and or runny nose all the time. Im 38 weeks pregnant and it was getting really bad so I purchased a neti pot to help me clear my passages and breathe. Well Everytime I use the neti pot I blow my nose and its all bloody. Its not bloody snot its just like watery blood... I asked my Midwife and she said because my passages were swollen it wasnt anything to worry about. But this morning I blew my nose and it covered the whole wad of paper. So I used the neti pot and it just got worse... Could this be some other underlying problem? or do you think it is the rhinitis?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:18 PM on Dec. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i'm not sure about it, but it happens to my husband every time he uses the netti pot
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 2:00 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Does it really? I don't feel crazy now.. Well obviously your DH isn't pregnant so now im assuming it is NOT the rhinitis. Now im even more curious as to why this is happening
    Anonymous

• The neti helps me get it ALL out. I've been getting a little bloody now and then too. The blood is apparently bc of changes in the sinuses and circulation. Have you ever seen a diagram of the sinuses in the skull? OMG there is so much space for grossness to hide. The neti pot chases it all out.

If it stings, check the salt level. If there is no pain, only a lot of globby nasties, then thank god it's not in your body any more.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 4:54 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• you can always take it to the dr w/ you and make sure that you are using it correctly. (i can't use it bc it all goes down my throat and i'm too impatient to learn how to use it correctly. lol) i would check w/ your primary care dr and make sure there's no sinus issues going on.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 9:42 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• I had this problem ALOT when I was pregnant! I am prone to allergies and sinus infections. If you have allergy issues, something like zyrtec might help you. My OB recommended zyrtec and it was wonderful.
    lizpoulette

Answer by lizpoulette at 10:45 PM on Dec. 13, 2009