Ptojectile vomiting!!! HELP

my son is almost 4 weeks old and just started to do more than spit up! I thought maybe i was over feeding him but he was still sucking and acting hungry after three ounces so now he eats 4 ounces about every 3 to 4 hours. he tends to vomit from the time he is done eating until the next feeding time ( its off and on of course) what made him start to do this? also the vomit looks like formula still when it comes out...... i dont know what to do or whats causing it...thanks

tiffandgene2009

Asked by tiffandgene2009 at 12:20 PM on Dec. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you might need to use different formula .. he could be allergic... take him to teh dr
    cammar424

Answer by cammar424 at 12:24 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• i really really think you should take him to dr...
    cammar424

Answer by cammar424 at 12:26 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• I would call the doctor, he might have a milk allergy. I do know there is a condition (can't remember the name of it) where a certain part of the stomach isn't developed enough so they can't keep food down. I know that it usually affects the first born white male in a family. But you should really call the doctor and at least inform them, he might just have a virus if anything.
    Jessie1689

Answer by Jessie1689 at 12:28 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• I would take him to the pedi. Projectile vomiting is NOT normal. My SO had something called pyloric stenosis as a baby. It usually happens to baby boys more often than girls in the first few weeks of life. The sphincter leading into the stomach thickens and blocks food from going in so the baby just vomits it back up. It has to be corrected with surgery. Now this may not be the case for you, but if it is it is very important to take care of it immediately. I hope your little one is alright.

Anonymous

• thanks ladies i will take him to the doctor any suggestions for over the weekend???
    tiffandgene2009

Answer by tiffandgene2009 at 12:36 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• I wrote you a message hun!
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 1:02 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• For over the weekend, just try to help him keep food down!

Also, you might see if maybe it is the suckling that he is "hungry" for? You can offer him a finger or a paci and see if that satisfies him after you think he takes enough--if it doesn't, he will let you know! :) My LO just got evaluated for pyloric stenosis because she was projectile vomiting. Luckily she just has a REALLY bad case of reflux and was comfort nursing for the antacid effect of my milk--which was causing her to spit up because she was taking too much.

Just to let you know, they will probably do an ultrasound on your LO to evaluate him--it doesn't hurt babies but sometimes it makes them fuss because the gel they use is cold :) and if anything is seriously wrong they can feed him via IV to make sure he gets plenty of nutrition in the meantime. It's scary but he'll be okay! :) Good luck!
    fanficbug

Answer by fanficbug at 1:31 PM on Dec. 11, 2009