What is a good age to introduce peanut butter?

My daughter is 12 months, too soon? I know I can't glob it on like I would for myself but I was thinking of making her a pb & j with just a light layer of PB and a thicker layer of jelly. Would the concern right now be choking hazard or allergy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:25 PM on Dec. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• My SIL gave all my kids PB before they were a year, so we knew allergies weren't an issue. Around a year I gave them PBJs - but just a very thin layer of each, no need for the outrageous sugar in the jelly! Cut up into very small bits and it'd be fine. But if you've never given peanut butter, the bigger risk would be the allergic reaction. Wait til 2 if you've never intro'd it yet.
    Anonymous

• I was told 18months-2 years especially if there're allergies anywhere in your family.

my older 2 had it at around 18mo, but the youngest was a week (big sisters thought she was hungry)
    Anonymous

• I gave them a little bit at a year and watched for a reaction.

None of mine had one so we just used it for sandwiches after that.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 12:26 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• I gave my son peanut-butter when he was one. I had benadryl on hand, and already got the correct dosage instruction from the pharmacist. He was fine. However, I tried it in the form of a homemade peanut-butter cookie. Less of a choking hazard. It'd be bad if he had a reaction and couldn't figure out how to swallow the peanut-butter. When I felt more confident, I gave peanut-butter spread on banana, or something. Bread can make it harder to go down... it depends on how well your child handles food.
    Anonymous

• Three

Answer by rkoloms at 1:51 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• I tried to keep it away from my oldest until she was 2 but somehow she always ended up with peanut butter cups or something else (thanks to family and friends). So I gave up. Especially after she started eating PB&J because her younger brother would just take her sandwich (he was 1). The other kids all started eating peanut butter right after they turned 1. We have no history of any kind of food allergies in the family.
    PB&J is their favorite sandwich. they eat it almost every day (despite me trying to convince them that there is other stuff besides peanut butter and jelly).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:53 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• If there is none of the above in you or your child's history, however, then peanut butter can be a healthy addition to the diet when your child turns 1 year old. Just be sure to avoid giving big spoonfuls of peanut butter and never give children under 3 years of age whole peanuts because these pose a choking hazard.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 1:58 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• I gave it to my daughter at age 1yr... But if you have food allergies in your family..Peanut butter, nuts,etc. I would wait a while.. or if you give it to her , just watch for any kind of reaction.
    kathynej7142007

Answer by kathynej7142007 at 12:50 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• I gave it to my son at 11 months because he was quite the eater. 10 minutes later, we were in the emergency room as he swelled up like a balloon. I would say wait until you're close to the hospital and then try it for the first time, just in case. Maybe 18 months or 2 years, better safe than sorry.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 3:11 PM on Dec. 13, 2009