Do you think mothers or fathers are better at discipline?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 12:25 PM on Dec. 11, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I think both if they wish to gain equal respect should be good at keeping consistent and promoting discipline as that parent that's in charge at the time or around see's fit. My children know both mom and dad mean it when we tell them something, and they know that we will both equally punish them. We are so much alike I guess that there's no misunderstanding on discipline, structure or rules as far as the children are concerned, so they have nothing (so far *knock on wood*) to exploit.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 1:52 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• I think it depends on the situation. In my case my husband is gone alot so therefor I am better. I spend more time with him so I know how to discipline him, my husband gives him whatever he wants and doesn't really discipline him...
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 12:26 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• both can be the best.. lol in my case my husband is but that is only because im not consistent and i baby alot... they know what daddy says daddy means.. so if you want to be the best then hold your ground
    cammar424

Answer by cammar424 at 12:28 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Fathers.

In my home and the one I was raised in he was better at it.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 12:28 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• In my case, I think I am. My husband is quick to toss out idiotic punishments like 'if you don't be quiet, I'm going to make you walk home' to our 8 year old while we're on a highway. Or 'I'll make you go to school naked if you ruin those school clothes'.

Like you could follow through with that.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 12:31 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• In my house, it's me.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 12:41 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Definitely just depends on the individual. In many households, the men are better because they are firmer and more likely to stick w/ punishments, whereas mom may go soft and give in...at my house, it's more like what you described, OP. On the off chance that my DH actually does attempt to intervene and discipline (which is rare), he usually makes some idiotic threat like "You won't get any presents for Christmas" or something of that nature that there's absolutely no chance of following through on. I talked to him about not doing that, but I don't think he really "gets" it, so he mostly just stays out of it. I am the primary disciplinarian, as well as the primary pretty much everything else. Oh well. It works for us, I suppose.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 12:48 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• My Hubby is , I give in to the kids too easily. I will admit it here but not to my Hubby.
    Anonymous