Are developed Countries moraly obligated to aid poor Countries?

Should we turn a blind eye to world hunger? Are we responsible for deaths of hundreds of thousands starving people if we do?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 12:28 PM on Dec. 11, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• When we can afford to.. But when we are borrowing money from China dependent on our children footing the bill, we need to be MORE frugal with our money.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:39 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Yes, developed countries are obligated to help third world countries; especially when we use and exploit those countries for our needs.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:35 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Yes, grly, something seems a bit off when we borrow soooo much to take care of our poor & needy, yet we give soooo much to other countries for THEIR poor & needy. Kinda like borrowing from Peter to help me because I lent all mine to Paul, but I'm sure that Patrick will pay Peter what I owe, cause I don't think Paul will be able to pay me back anytime soon. Well, once Patrick is old enough to get a job, and earn a living for himself, I'm sure he will be happy to pay back what I borrowed. And if not Patrick, then maybe his kid will, or his grand-kid, doesn't really matter, someone will, someday. I know that Peter will be patient. Cause I'm good for it, really, I am.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 12:47 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Sure, after we take care of America's poor and needy first.
    Anonymous

• Until when? Developed countries have been pumping cash into poor countries for decades. Other than the "leaders" of these countries building nicer houses for themselves, the countries are not at all improved.
    Anonymous

• Anon :55 has a very valid point. How long? At some point shouldn't these countries be able to leave their "third world" status?

My complaint is that the US is broke, we are borrowing from China to provide PA to our own citizens. It is insane to give to other countries when we can't even take care of our own. Gosh, healthcare for all might be feasible if we didn't dump so much money all over the world. Besides, why do we give money to those that hate us? Do YOU routinely drop cash on people that can't stand you?
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 2:04 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Yes, we should help other countries stricken by famine and plague. AFTER>>> Our country is OUT of a defect.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 2:18 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• I believe we need to take care of our own yards before mowing others. We have starvation, societal warfare in the form of gang violence, widespread poverty too. We need to take care of our own then move on to reach out. Consider it this way, if your child was sick and your neighbor's child was also sick, would you ignore the needs of your child to tend to those of the neighbor first?

PsWifey

Answer by PsWifey at 2:20 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• We need to take care of ourselves before fixing the world. Now I am not saying never give aid or try our best but there are

--36.3 million people--including 13 million children--live in households that experience hunger or the risk of hunger. This represents more than one in ten 0households in the United States (11.2 percent). This is an increase of 1.4 million, from 34.9, million in 2002.

--3.5 percent of U.S. households experience hunger. Some people in these households frequently skip meals or eat too little, sometimes going without food for a whole day. 9.6 million people, including 3 million children, live in these homes.

--7.7 percent of U.S. households are at risk of hunger. Members of these households have lower quality diets or must resort to seeking emergency food because they cannot always afford the food they need. 26.6 million people, including 10.3 million children, live in these homes.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 3:26 PM on Dec. 11, 2009