Time Out??!!

how can I get my son to respect the idea of a time out. Whenever I try to put him in his time out chair he gets up and runs around the house- the more I return him to his chair, the more he laughs (like I am playing a really fun game with him). I try to be stern, repetitive, etc but nothing is seeming to work.
Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:36 PM on Dec. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just keep doing it. If you give up he'll know that he can wear you down and eventually get out of it. So keep taking him back (and say NOTHING while you are doing it), even if you have to do it initially for 3 hrs. It will be exhausting at first but worth it and the struggles will cease.
    Anonymous

• This is a tough age for time outs. Just keep repeating your steps. When he gets up...take him by the hand and put him back in the chair. Continue doing this until he gets the picture. It will be annoying..I remember those days..but the more he understands the better off it will be further down the road.
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 12:40 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• I started with a swat on the bottom and then set down where I wanted time out to be. After the first few times, I didn't need to swat any more.
    Anonymous

• I put mine in the crib.
    Anonymous

• Well, as with everything, it doesn't work on all kids. Make sure after you've already gotten down to his level and explained why he is going in time out, there is no more communication about it. Don't laugh, smile, smirk or talk or yell - just keep picking him up and returning him there..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:48 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• If he's 2 or less, it's going to take some work and patience to teach him to understand and respect Time Out. The concept, right now, is a bit much for him.
    Anonymous

• At first start with a hand firmly placed on the shoulder after a few timeouts remove the hand but stay right behind him. If he is able to get up and run he will try and being chased down to get put back is a game to him. If you are right there you can get him before he has a chance to run. Then after a few timeouts with no attempts to run take a few steps back at the next time outs. We always have an adult in the room with ds. Also our timeouts ds stands facing a corner with his hands by his sides. Timeout doesn't start until he is quiet and not playing but ds is almost 4.
    mom06and09

Answer by mom06and09 at 1:12 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Before 2 years old, time out is tough, and not recommended. After 2 years old, practice your stern voice and look; make sure it is at eye level, and explain why you put him there. Next I would move the naughty place to somewhere that confines him more, a crib, a room in the house that is toddler-safe, so you can shut the door, so he can't run. I have a feeling if your tone is serious and suddenly mommy is walking away not coming back for a while (a whole 2 minutes) and he can't have his toys or favorite things, it won't seem so fun anymore. (Once he grasps the concept then you can move it to some place more convenient to you). In our house, time out works because we physically and emotionally isolate our little one for 2 minutes. Meaning, he is completely left alone, with no attention (that he can see, we do peek a bit at him) for his 2 minutes. My toddler hates it, and it has changed his behavior.
    Marti123

Answer by Marti123 at 2:56 PM on Dec. 11, 2009