Dog grooming...where to begin?

Im very interested in learning to become a dog groomer. However Im not sure where to begin. Ive done a lot of research on the internet and am only finding a home schooling by Penn Foster. Other people have told me just to self teach by books or to contact local business but ive had no luck with that either, they wont return emails or calls. Anybody have any other info out there?

MamaSpurg

Asked by MamaSpurg at 12:45 PM on Dec. 11, 2009 in Pets

• I'm trying to get into dog grooming too. I found a great forum http://www.petgroomerforums.com/chat/ there is a lot of info on here and lots of great people to talk to. Maybe you can also find a job this way, they have classifieds for grooming. I can't find a groomer willing to let me work under them around here, I don't have a petco or petsmart near enough to learn, nor a grooming school. I am hoping to get a job in another town (have to move) where they'll train me and then I can work there. Im self teaching myself right now with my dog and friends/relatives dogs, but its hard to get work doing it unless someone will train you, books can help, but not as much as hands-on, same with online programs and even schools don't teach you everything. You keep learning the more you do it, the more you learn. See if your shelter will let you groom dogs there to practice.
    stargazerwolf

Answer by stargazerwolf at 9:42 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Try and contact an independent dog groomer and ask their advice.
    Anonymous

• You tube will instruct you on how to express anal glands. TMI
    Anonymous

• I was a groomer -prior to staying home with the kids. I still groom friends and neighbors dogs for extra cash. I learned by working at a private grooming shop (not petsmart/petco). I started as a bather brusher-which meant they showed me how to wash, fluff, and brush a dog first. Then slowly started teaching me to scissor and clip. It takes quite a while bc each dog breed has a different clip. But the basics are always the same. I would say call around to local shops and ask them if they apprentice. Or there are grooming schools-but few and far between
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 9:13 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• If I can get my bathroom finished I want to put a grooming table in there and advertise doing grooming in my home, its the only way I can figure something out to get practice and earn a little too. You have to check with the laws and such to do that however. I'm in the same boat as you, in some places its really tough to get in grooming, but if you can find a way to learn you can make a great living out of it in these areas because there aren't tons of groomers. All the groomers around here are overflowing with dogs, they get to turn down a lot, but still won't let me work with them, even just to learn (without pay), mainly its because it takes a lot to teach this and some have gone to school and won't teach for free what they paid for. However most had mothers or some family they learned from.Sucks for those of us who don't.I want my own business doing this and want to teach my daughter some day, hope I get that job.
    stargazerwolf

Answer by stargazerwolf at 9:46 PM on Dec. 23, 2009