what do i need to do in order to enroll my daughter in preschool?

she will be 3 new yrs day and i want to put her in preschool i am currently potty training and i wanted to know if she has to be completely trained to start.she says when she has to pee pee or poop but may slip and do it on herself but rarely.

sweetlady0409

Asked by sweetlady0409 at 12:48 PM on Dec. 11, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Pre-schools are awful. If you need day care it's best to have someone come to your home. If you can't find someone, then having her go to a home day care with as few children as possible is the next best choice.

Children do not need to be with groups of children the same age to socialize. They need to be around adults and some children of all ages, mostly older. Pre-schools make kids sick. Children that young still have a weak immune system until they are around 5-7. They don't need to be in pre-schools to learn.

Let your child be a kid. They don't need to learn letters or numbers when they are 3. Early learning does not make people smarter as high school or college students. Save your money. Keep your child at home. Developmentally kids aren't ready for group learning experiences until they are 12.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:05 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• You would have to call the preschool and ask them. Every one is different. The one my 3yo goes to only requires that they be toilet trained and be 3 before September. She doesn't allow mid-year enrollment. She wants the kids starting at the beginning. It's through our park district and meets at the little field house in our park. Her class has 22 kids ages 3-5. I wasn't going to send her until she was four. I don't think 3 year olds need to go to school but my daughter wanted to go and she loves it.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:39 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• the preschool i'm trying to send her to is at my sons elementary school
    sweetlady0409

Answer by sweetlady0409 at 2:30 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Then you have to call them and ask what the they require.
    My kids' elementary school also offers preschool for 3-4 year olds but it's full day (same hours as the rest of the school...7:50am-2:10pm) and my 3yo doesn't need that. And it's a Catholic school so the tuition is a factor. But the same basic rules apply. The child must be toilet trained and able to use the bathroom without help, including getting pants up and down, fastened on their own. And they have to be 3 or 4 before August (which is the cut off for our school).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:59 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Yes she has to be potty trained and suually they have to be four to start pre-k or they do here in GA at least. You have to have taken them to their four year check up and gotten a package of paperwork from them to complete for the school. They have to have certain vaccines and such as well.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 4:24 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Where my daughter goes to school yes they have to be totally potty trained. Also where she is in school it is a private church school and very hard to get into, when the applications come out you have to be first in line and turn them right back in, plus if you have had children there before you get treatment over others and then what spots are left are filled. It just depends on where you go.
    Anonymous

• Most preschools require that a child be COMPLETELY potty trained, meaning they can do everything on their own. You would have to call the preschool and ask their rules.

As for the lady that says preschool is not necessary...preschool is an amazing opportunity for a child to learn how to socialize with others, be independent of mom or dad, and to LEARN what they need so they can start Kindergarten and be ready to learn all the things that are required in Kindergarten. Even if a child goes to a home day care, they WILL get sick. The first year of preschool, day care (which is different than preschool), or regular school for that matter is the worst for illness. It takes time for a body to build immunitites needed to fight off illness. The first year I taught preschool, I was sick all the time.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:46 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Yes, check with your local preschool. I must say when my daughter was enrolled (unfortunately I had to pull her out due to financial reasons...but will be nrolling her agian next year)...she loved it. Sh was always smiling and lots of art projects. I signed her up for a nature one so they were always outside (weather permitting of course) and I can just see how much she has learned. She is mostly potty trained...their policy was that if they had 3 accidents within one preschool week, then they wouldn' be allowed back. She only had 1 in the months she was there. If you're just starting to train, I would maybe wait until the next school year (ie, august of 2010) but if you're well into the process then give it a shot.....however, you might want to consider waiting so as he's not over whelmed by going into halfway through the school year. good luck!
    CTC7122006

Answer by CTC7122006 at 2:05 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• The preschool where my kids go just requires an extra bag of clothes as they know accidents happen. If they happen more than once in a while you'll probably be asked to disenroll. They usually are very scheduled about ample potty breaks, so the likelihood of accidents is very rare. Besides, peer pressure is a great thing as they are trying to be big kids and not Babies anymore so they really don't want to wet at school. I think if your immunizations are up to date then she is ready!
    oregonmom22

Answer by oregonmom22 at 2:24 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• here I had to supply a shot record, proof of address and birth certificate.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 6:24 PM on Dec. 13, 2009