Has anyone taken thier toddler/ preschooler ice skating?

Has anyone taken their toddler or Preschooler ice skating? If so how did it go? Do they rent small size ice skates at the rinks? Do the kids wear helmets? We might be trying to take our 3 year old son this weekend to a public skating time at an indoor rink. He hasn't been on skates before and I'm afraid it may be a fiasco but I'm willing to try it to try something different.

aidensmomma508

Asked by aidensmomma508 at 12:54 PM on Dec. 11, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• we have....a helmet is a must - most rinks won't even let the kids on the ice without one.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 1:59 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• I did! I signed her up for lessons a while ago. She is tiny....3 1/2 but only in 2t clothing....they do make skates small enough. Out here, there were no helmet requirements...but their may be individual laws/ordinances in your area....she did fall down alot, and the skates were heavy for her but she laughed alot and had fun...she smiled alot....if you do, stay near the wal....also, they reccommended that she wear thinner socks....and make sure it's laed properly(you can ask the staff to do it for you if you're unsure)....I think it will be a fun experience. So give it a try and have fun!
    CTC7122006

Answer by CTC7122006 at 2:00 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• I did when mine were that age my daughter loved it. My son didn't , he doesn't like the cold too much.Where I took him didn't require helmets, but they did say an adult must be with them at all times.I say if you want to try with your son, go for it. who knows he might have too much fun and not want to go home.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 4:34 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• I have taken my kids skating when they were toddlers (around age 3). They liked it. My youngest is 3 now, so she will go. We have double blade skates that she will use and we always take our bike helmets. They do well. First we hold their hands and they mostly walk; but it is fun.
    grace2joy

Answer by grace2joy at 6:17 AM on Dec. 15, 2009