BFing and my husband would like to take over a feed? Pumping?

Hi ladies :) do any of you who breastfed have any experience with pumping so your SO/BF/DH can take over a feeding every once in a while? How did you manage to make enough milk for an extra bottle? Did it mess with your supply to pump earlier in the day so that you could skip a feeding? My husband says he would like to feed our daughter every once in a while, but I'm worried that taking a break during one of the feedings will mess me up. Thanks for answering. :)

fanficbug

Asked by fanficbug at 1:26 PM on Dec. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you have to pump while he's feeding. the more you add pumping to breastfeeding the more your supply with come in, and it''ll eventually catch up with letting him feed her. but again, you have to pump, while he's feeding like she was feeding on you.
    that's sweet of your DH to want to do it :)
    Anonymous

• Pumping will increase your flow some but may not be an effective way to get milk out. Think supply and demand. The more you demand the larger you will supply. I would pump an hour after nursing. Just remember to pump when you would normally nurse.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:30 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Baby should only get bottles when you will be separated. For this, pump first thing in the morning on the opposite breast while baby is nursing. You may need to pump a couple of times to get a bottle (estimate 1 oz per hour you will be away).

How old is baby, BTW? You want to wait at least 6 weeks to introduce a bottle.

Dad can bond in many other ways... bathtime, diaper changes, tummy time, wearing baby, getting baby to sleep... later on, playing with baby and feeding solids typically are good things for dads to do with baby.

If you've got to go somewhere, leave dad with a bottle... otherwise, assign him other duties.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:41 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Ah, sorry for not including more info. My daughter is seven weeks old today. She had a bottle introduced at one week because I got dual mastitis and a uterine infection at that time. I used a strong (medical-grade) electric pump to get more milk out because baby was too weak to nurse effectively, and then gave it to her through a bottle. Luckily we made it through that challenge. :)

I know, I have a really sweet husband :) he is the best.
    fanficbug

Answer by fanficbug at 1:56 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• pump after each feeding. once you get enough for a feed, let hubby do it and pump while he is feeding.
    Anonymous

• well i only pumping i been pumping for 9 1.2 mts now and i make enough to feed him. only now i have to use formula cuz my supply is going down a bit. but if you do pump, like others said pump while u nurse
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:12 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Yep. Pump one side, nurse the other. Then hand baby to dad and take off for a while. Best for him to feed when you are gone....baby is likely to reject the bottle if you're in the vicinity.

Better yet...dad should do bathing and diapering. Baby is actually paying attention during that time. During feeding, baby is zoning out and doesn't know or care who's doing it.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:23 PM on Dec. 11, 2009