leaving your baby?

ok so my husbands mother keeps asking if i would leave the baby whom is 2 months old and nursing for a few hrs...i have a really hard time leaving her with my husband muchless leaving her with his mother...on the other hand i feel like i can leave the baby with my mother with no problem...not that i have yet but my queston is when is it ok? or when did you leave your baby to go out?...and is it wrong that im just not ready yet?....(my first baby)

MamaD620

Asked by MamaD620 at 1:29 PM on Dec. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There is nothing wrong with that. I didn't leave mine until she was almost 7 months.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:33 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• oldest was 6 weeks when we went to dinner and a movie for our anniversary. it was strange and uncomfortable (managed to hold in that urge to call every 5 minutes)

#2 was a few days old - but I was in hospital and she couldn't stay - she had to go home with daddy every night (I'd been readmitted for emergency surgery 2days pp)

and #3...well its sad, she was almost 1, but we didn't have anywhere to go lol
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 1:33 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• It is not wrong to leave your baby with a trusted family member or friend for a short period of time. The time frame is up to you, whether it be 2 hours for shopping or 5 hours for a date with hubby. It is your call. It is also NOT wrong to want to stay with your baby either. It is really what you are comfortable with.

Just remember that your relationship with DH needs as much attention as the baby. A lot of new moms put so much focus on the baby it is almost an obsession and the relationship suffers or fails because of it. Now who needs you more THE BABY of course but just don't forget hubby too..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 1:37 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• its all up to you and how you feel..with my first daughter she was about five to six months...with my second she was six weeks because my work only had maternity leave for untill the baby was 6 weeks old so i had to go back to work...
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 1:38 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• if your not ready to and not trusting of whomever it is yet, don't feel like your obligated to or even have to because you don't. Do what feels right to you, and what your comfortable with.
    Anonymous

• I first left my baby when she was 5 months. She's 13 months now and I've only lest her 8-9 times. It was really weird the first time I left her. I didn't enjoy my evening because I was too worried.
    KatiaZgr

Answer by KatiaZgr at 1:40 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• i left my son with my mother when he a month old. my mom helped me sometimes so that i could sleep at night or get out of the house for an hr or two. it was wierd going out without him, it still is. but its okay. theres nothing wrong with it. if you trust your MIL then it should be fine, but if you dont trust her and her parenting, then dont.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 2:06 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• well, I left my son for a hour here and there when he was colicky and I needed a break, but only with my mother whom I trusted - now he's 2 and no one can tear him away from me, well, except working outside the home... do it when YOU are ready, otherwise it will be stressful for you and that will affect your milk and stress the baby etc.
    Anonymous

• There's nothing wrong with leaving your child for a few hours. If you can pump and leave some milk in case baby wants some, great! My mom keep my duaghter overnight at about 2 or 3 weeks. It was a big help for me since I could sleep and pump and recover a bit. It's normal to feel like you are the only one who can care for your child, but in all honesty, your husband, mom and mother in law are all capable of taking care of the child. It's just a matter of when you feel ok with letting go.
    Anonymous

• We went out for dinner and a movie when my daughter was 1 month old. I just pumped and left a bottle for her. I love to get out of the house and take a break. It is good for you. I agree with the mother-in-law thing though. I don't like leaving my daughter with her as much as I do with my own mother. I feel like my mom knows me better and knows how I would take care of my baby, so she tries use the same methods whereas my mother-in-law thinks what I do is weird and does what she thinks is right or what she did with her kids 20 years ago.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 2:43 PM on Dec. 11, 2009