PreNatal Care

Soooooo i took a test last week and it was positive..we wern't expecting to concieve sooooo fast my time of the month hasn't been reg. since stopping bc. My insurance doesn't kick in untill jan. 1st. Is it all right to wait that long to go to the doctor? I have already started prenatal vitimins. We are very excited and don't want anything to go wrong. Opinions?
btw: I am 100 percent sure I am pregnant. The test is positive and I have ALL the symptoms I had with my first.

Hulkgrrl

Asked by Hulkgrrl at 1:48 PM on Dec. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• oh i agree with khedy btw that a lot of practices don't see you until 12 weeks. with my son, i had my first appt at 11 weeks, with this pregnancy, at 9 weeks. and i did not have a blood test or urine test to confirm pregnancy, they took my word for it. ultrasounds are not necessary. and my midwife recommended a blood test and pap test for my next appt when i'll be about 13 weeks. all practices are different.

before you call you might want to do some research and find a place you will like. like i wouldn't really want a practice that did an ultrasound to date the pregnancy after i had already told them when i conceived.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 3:57 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Most doctors won't see you until you are 12 weeks anyway. Maybe just give your regular doctor a call and see what he/she suggests for a vitamin and start taking it. Congrats!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 1:51 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• yeah, unless you start having pains or something I wouldn't see why not...i found out i am preggers the day before thanksgiving, and won't be going to the doctors til mid jan because we're going on vacation in 3 days, out of state.
    congrats on #2!
    Anonymous

• You can wait till the first of the year. It's not a big deal or a long wait at this point.
    Anonymous

• khedy..... idk what dr. you have been seeing, but every pregnancy i have had (with different doctors in different states) have had u come in when u find out you're pregnant to do bloodwork, screen for std's, get a quick examination (feel the uterus and do a pap smear), and usually give u a referral to get an ultrasound to confirm the due date. but anyway, just make your appt. for the first of the year and don't worry.... that's only a couple of weeks away. no biggie. gl with the pregnancy!
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 2:06 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• My dr won't schedule the first appt until you're 8 or more weeks. Go ahead and call your OB now and tell them your insurance kicks in after the 1st and have them schedule you an appt for the first week of Jan.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:16 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Yeah it's typicaly after 8 weeks that they will even schedule you....it may sound cruel but many practices do this because most miscarriages occur BEFORE 8 weeks. So go ahead and wait, but you may want to call and schedule it soon before you call and it takes even longer to be seen.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 3:48 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• yes i think you are fine to wait. =) congrats!!! you might want to go ahead and call to get an appt because sometimes they book up fast.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 3:54 PM on Dec. 11, 2009