Do the rich (bureaucrats) keep getting richer????

The number of federal workers earning six-figure salaries has exploded during the recession, according to a USA TODAY analysis of federal salary data.
Federal employees making salaries of $100,000 or more jumped from 14% to 19% of civil servants during the recession’s first 18 months — and that’s before overtime pay and bonuses are counted.
Federal workers are enjoying an extraordinary boom time — in pay and hiring — during a recession that has cost 7.3 million jobs in the private sector.

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 1:54 PM on Dec. 11, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• When the recession started, the Transportation Department had only one person earning a salary of $170,000 or more. Eighteen months later, 1,690 employees had salaries above $170,000.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:55 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• The saying goes the rich get richer and the poor get by. I am not surprised in the least...it is quite sad really.
    PsWifey

Answer by PsWifey at 2:13 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Well, the only sector where there is any job growth is in the public (government) sector. Not at all surprising. Now we know why we have to keep borrowing so much money from China!!!
    29again

Answer by 29again at 2:17 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Oh, wanted to say that I sure do hope they all pay their taxes!!
    29again

Answer by 29again at 2:18 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Well...I don't think you should throw all federal workers in one category. Politicians are there for themselves not us...does not matter the party! Otherwise no I do not believe in the rich keeps getting richer saying because if you punish/tax the rich (a.k.a. the ones who employ the "less rich") then they will retaliate by laying off/firing more working/middle class people. Does not seem very smart to me!

Brickhouse95

Answer by Brickhouse95 at 3:15 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Brickhouse95 I agree with you, however with the 'rich' are Federal Bearucrats, it is the taxpayers who are paying for an increase from 1 to over 1600 employees making over $170,000 in one Federal Department.  During a recession??  Seriously??

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:27 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• however when the 'rich' are Federal Bureaucrats

grlygrlz2

• Not surprised. They are just keeping it in the family.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:03 PM on Dec. 11, 2009