Getting a wiggly baby still to see the sex?

I had my first ultrasound today. The midwife said, "You have one BIG, super WIGGLY baby." And when I looked on the screen it was insanity. The child was thrashing about like a fish out of water.

I go next month to try to determine the sex. Any tips for keeping my child still? I'll be happy either way, I'm just itching to decorate my nursery with either lions or butterflies.

ecodani

Asked by ecodani at 2:55 PM on Dec. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• My daughter did not sit still through her one and only ultrasound but she was big enough due to when they did it during my pregnancy, that when she flipped around we saw her gender. It was the most perfect view we could have hoped for.

By your next one you'll likely be far enough along that you'll be able to see what is there even with the wiggling. I have no idea how one would even go about keeping a baby still in there. Good luck though!
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 3:00 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• gl on that one....both my kids were as still as can be...but sat cross legged so you couldn't see a damn thing....LOL
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 3:05 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• couldn't tell for any of mine either....they were cross legged, or moving so much that you couldn't tell.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:06 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• My BFF told me that she would drink coffee before her ultra sounds to make her son more active. I thought, why would you want to do that? But her ultrasound pics were perfect!! It was clearly a boy.

My mom told me to schedule my appt for the afternoon so the baby would be tired from a long day. I don't know about that either.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 3:16 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Moving is good. Your midwife is more likely to get a look at some point that way. My 3rd baby had her legs crossed and wouldn't move no matter what we tried. I had to reschedule the u/s and go back in 2 weeks and try again.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:18 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• All of ym babies have been ACTIVE. But they still managed to get the sex. My ultrasound tech actually sat there and refused to give up until she got my second daughters sex, and it took 45 minutes! Lol. My little boy (pregnant with him now) was caught by accident and as soon as he realized the thing was on my stomache he started turning away from it but we had already caught it by that point, lol. I think he was trying to hide it! = )
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 4:12 PM on Dec. 11, 2009