Anyone ever have TWO PAP Smears that have Atypical Cells ?

I had a pap done a few weeks ago and it came back with Atypical cells. So my doctor wanted to re-do the pap and said if it came back again, then she was referring me to a Gynocologist for further testing.

When I was preggo 5 yrs ago they did a pap during my pregnancy and it came back as the same thing......but when they tried to go in ( while in my 7th month ) for the pap test with the light thingy, it was way too painful, though I did not bleed.....I never got another pap til this year.

So I am waiting til next week for the results to come back. *nervously I might add*

Does HPV show up as Atypical? I am sure that IF the test comes back a second time for Atypical cells, I will see a GYN.

Sure is nerve racking hearing my doctor say, some times it means cells could be precancerous and further testing is needed to rule it out. She says not to worry, she'll help take care of me..is comforting, but I'm stil nervous!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:57 PM on Dec. 11, 2009 in Health

• I had that happen when I went for my yearly check up and my gyn would not do another pap for 3 months b/c he said if they do it
    over again so soon they would get the same results. I had to wait 3 months and when I went back in July the second one
    came back fine he said it could be cause by alot of different things. At first I was mad b/c they didn't redo it right away but
    after checking online there was a lot of info out there that confirmed this. Hope yours turns out to be nothing.
    Lindles

Answer by Lindles at 3:02 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• dont worry! your body can be thrown off by the simplest little things...a cold, stress, ect...
    my sister had the same thing, and they actually went as far as to test her for cervical cancer...but the results came back fine! so know that there are other people out there that have had it happen and been perfectly fine! hope this helps some!
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 3:03 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Thanks... I know I worry a bit.

When I had this pap done recently I actually had to wait over a month and a half to get it re-done cause my period came twice within that time and one lasted 17 days! BTW I am over 45 yrs of age here! LOL An old maid! HA!

We DO have cervical cancer in the family, my granny had cancer Moms Mom ( both my parents Moms had cancer ) and never smoked a day or drank in her life.

I will await to see what the results are and go from there.

Thank you for the replies!
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't worry but I'd still go to the gyno for the further testing. They will do what is called a colposcopy and possibly a biopsy. I had a colposcopy when I was 20 weeks pregnant in September. They use a speculum to open the wall and use a microscope to look for any abnormal cells or sores. If there are any they can see they may do a biopsy (they don't do the biopsies during pregnancy)! You may feel a little discomfort, but with the colposcopy alone I felt 100% normal within a half hour.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 6:26 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• I plan on going just in case cause of the first pap coming back abnormal with the Atypical cells, and regardless of this one, it won't hurt to double check it all. Thanks.

I kick myself cause my son is now just 5 yrs of age and I've been a fool for neglecting myself medically.

I suppose it is that fear of finding out bad news. Sadly alot of us women go through things, nothing is planned for any of us and they say God does not give us more then we can handle.

I just hate Im such a worry wart and being so lame as to NOT go sooner. Same for a Mammogram...waited 12 years to get another after finding I had a fybroid cyst on my right breast. It is no longer there, so apparently it went away! Yay!

I DO have fybroid cysts on my ovaries according to a sonogram I had done earlier this year. More on the left side I think but nothing to be concerned about..........Still. I worry.
    Anonymous