Question about the Duggar's 1-pound new baby:

That is really, really sad. I didn't even know gall bladders could cause that much issue during pregnancy. Poor family! Of course half the world is praying for them...and will continue...

I have a question and I know it's a sensitive subject, but a legitmate question. Can babies live at that weight? And what is the survival rate (ratio)?

I know my sister survied through some amazing crazy stuff as a baby with the help Children's Hospital, so I want to say yes, that 1-pound babies have a fighting chance with modern medicine!

God bless them, I know they'll come out on top.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:07 PM on Dec. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• am sure they can. some moms have had their babies at 24 wks and the baby has survived. am just wondering why is the baby soo small. my dd was 4lbs at 28 wks gestation. she was born at 38 wks at 7lbs. maybe she was relaly sick duting this pregnacy. i hope all comes well i will be praying for their lil girl.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:10 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• They can, and have before, but it will be a rough road for awhile, there is still a lot of developing that the little one has to go through. I'd be willing to bet that there are quite a handful of preemies that early that have done very well, we just dont hear about them every day because they arent on the TV :) I hope for the Duggers all works out fine, Im sure it will, half the world is watching and praying :)
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 3:10 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Sure the baby could live. But it might have a lot of health issues. Might be brain damaged. Might be blind (due to having to have so much oxygen forced) And it will be hugely expensive & even then sadly the baby might not live.
    Anonymous

• Yes they can! I know someone on here who 1 month ago had her baby 15 weeks early at that weight. He is now breathing on his own !
    Anonymous

• I'll pray for her little one as well.

I know there is alot of medical break throughs that help preemies. I just pray this one is a fighter and stays strong and grows into a happy little baby girl.

I feel she should wait a few years to give her body a rest. And NOT try again in 4 months for another........
    Anonymous

• I have a friend whose boys were both premature..........1.6 lbs and 1.3 lbs. Both are healthy, intelligent teenagers. Hopefully everything will turn out okay.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 3:22 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• The baby is 25 weeks I think and is really a nice weight for her age. She will have a long time in the NICU but will likely do very well. Many babies are born at 25 weeks and do fine.... medicine is AMAZING!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:04 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Yes, they can survive. My son was born at 28 weeks weighing 2 pounds 7 ounces. So this baby is a good weight for her gestational age.
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 5:10 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Oh and the survival rate is 50% BUT thats with out the steriod shot. If she received the series of steriod shots the chances improves. My niece was also born at 27 weeks, my sister recieved the steriod shots (I did not) and her baby was out of the hopsital alot sooner than my son.
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 5:15 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• A friend of mine had her baby at 25 wks and she weighted 1lb 15oz. She lived for almost 1 year. She passed just 3 wks before her first birthday. Her lungs were badly damaged because of all the oxgen she had been on since birth, and unfortunately that is part of why she passed.
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 7:10 PM on Dec. 11, 2009