Band-aid reaction question

I have a Multiracial daughter with a beautiful light tan skin color. Well took her for her 3 year old check up and she had to have a shot. They put a bandaid on. Got home, took it off very carefully like I always do. When I took it off, the area was pink. Well this was a month ago and now its a darker shade of tan. You can tell its where the bandaid was. Is this normal? Has this happend to anyone else?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:46 PM on Dec. 11, 2009 in Kids' Health

• She might be allergic to the latex or to the glue they put on the band aid.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 3:47 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Latex allergies are very common

Answer by rkoloms at 3:48 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• armywife, she's never responded like this before. I mean, she's had the pink/redish area after removing the bandaid but then it goes back to normal. This time the skin is darker tan.
    Anonymous

• i am not allergic to latex but whatever it is in the bandaids i am very allergic to!! I will have an outline of a bandaid on my body for about 2 wks and it looks awful..thats why i always just ask for the cottonball and sergical tape
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:38 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• yep - sounds like adhesive reaction - the body always changes - one day you could not have a reaction, the next you will - I have the same reactions..l cannot use any type of adhesive bandage - leaves marks for weeks...

AndreaRUJuiced

Answer by AndreaRUJuiced at 12:39 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Most doctors offices dont use latex anymore so its probably an allergy to the adhesive. My son has a BAD adhesive allergy and the rash will stay for about a week after a band aide is removed. So now when he has shots, or injuries, we use a cotton ball and paper tape and it cuts down the problem ALOT. There is still adhesive on paper tape but it is alot less than on a band aide. If a band aide were to have been left on too long, or tape from an IV, it would actually cut him
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 12:33 AM on Dec. 14, 2009