Rash on son's cheek

My son woke up 3 days ago with a rash-looking spot on his cheek, and it still hasn't gone away! I put a little diaper rash cream on it and it made it a little bit smaller, but its not lightening up at all. What else could I put on it? I'm taking him to the doctor if it's still there after the weekend.

PrincessRSX03

Asked by PrincessRSX03 at 3:46 PM on Dec. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's hard to say, without knowing the cause. Does it look like it's from his drooling, dry skin or an allergy? My son had red cheeks all the time from drooling when he was teething. the only thing that helped was some vaseline so it didn't burn.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 3:54 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Most of the skin rashes on face are not dangerous and get cured on their own. However, if a person experiences symptoms like itchy or dry skin, burning sensation, etc., he/she can go for over the counter medications like anti-itch creams containing camphor, menthol, pramoxine (Itch-X), or diphenhydramine (Benadryl), antihistamines like diphenhydramine, chlortrimeton, or loratadine (Claritin, Claritin RediTabs, Alavert) and even some moisturizing lotions.Eliminating consumption of different chemicals, alcohol, tobacco, processed or junk foods from your daily diet will surely help to reduce the risks of skin rashes on face. Keeping your skin clean and away from pollutants or allergens will also be helpful. However, if the above mentioned remedies don't work and the rashes persist or become more widespread, it is recommended to consult a general physician or dermatologist for necessary treatment.

vdr1983

Answer by vdr1983 at 4:03 PM on Dec. 11, 2009