My heart pounds before every contraction???

It's always BEFORE... never during or after...it starts racing, roughly 120 BPM and last for maybe 30 seconds to a minute. Then it just stops... it slows down to normal, I take one or two deep, normal breaths... and then a contraction starts. Every time I have a contraction, this happens just before. The contractions aren't painful or close together yet, but they're stronger than braxton hicks. I'm 39 weeks along.

The longer my heart pounds before the contraction, the longer the contraction seems to be. My husband asked if it could be MY heart trying to beat in time with the baby's heart? Is that possible? If not, what else COULD it be? I'm worried that if this keeps up, I'll pass out when the contractions get closer together. It causes my breath to shorten... sort of like I took a light jog...not a heavy, burning chest feeling, but shallow breathing and increased heart rate. I called Triage and she didn't have an answer!

livn4hevn

Asked by livn4hevn at 4:06 PM on Dec. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i think it's just your body's way of preparing for the contrax. i don't think it's anything to do with your baby's heart. just my guesses! :)
    Anonymous

• It may be your body working to pump extra blood for the contraction
    Anonymous