Why did this happen?

I got a dry patch under my ring. It started out as an itch, then it looked like a rash, then my skin split and started to bleed, and now it looks like a little patch of eczema. It's not even the whole area where my ring is, just like a little 1/4 inch patch.

Is there something that could have caused that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:13 PM on Dec. 11, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I'm honestly not sure ecept for an allergic reaction. The same thing happened when I started wearing my wedding band and I had to remove it and keep it off so that the rash would clear up.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 4:15 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• It's real gold though. I haven't ever even had a reaction to cheap jewelry.... this is a $2000 ring I better not be having an allergic reaction to it.

OP
    Anonymous

• Maybe, if you wash your hands often, you are not rinsing them well enough and soap is getting trapped underneath and irritating it. Or, maybe you should do like my DH does and pull his ring off just enough to try it well after handwashing. Other tan that my vote is for an allergic reaction. Allergies can present all of a sudden even if you've never had a reaction in the past. Try some hydrocortisone cream. Or, and I know you don't want to hear this, maybe it's NOT real, pure gold. This happens a lot with nickel.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 4:24 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Mine was real gold also which shocked me because I break out with fake jewelry and metals. I used to wash my hands and dry them WITHOUT my ring on and I still broke out.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 4:25 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• trapped moisture maybe?
    Anonymous

• I used to get that too. I worked with strong cleaning chemicals and wore my rings, sometimes the chemicals would get trapped under the ring and irritate my skin. Now I take them off everytime I wash my hands and put lotion on. You can also try coating the underside of your rings with clear finger nail polish to keep the metal off of your skin.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 4:51 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• It's your skin reacting to the ring. It doesn't matter if its real gold. My class ring did this to me. Just leave the ring on there and eventually your skin will get used to it! :)
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 4:51 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• That happen to me a few winters ago. I started taking my rings off more often to let it heal and applied Gold Bond Ultimate Healing Lotion.
    Anonymous

• I get this in a small patch under a sterling silver bracelet ever winter. I tried everything. Finally I started using cortaid and it went away...took awhile though.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 5:15 PM on Dec. 11, 2009