Why would my four year old suddenly start wetting the bed?

She doesn't do it nightly, just like once or twice a week if that and it just started about last week. She has only wet the bed once and the other times she was on the way to the bathroom when she wet her pants. She also did it once during play. I know there isn't anything going on like her being messed with or anything because we are the only one's in the home (me, her, my boyfriend - who I would feel if he got up at night and such and my youngest daughter who is 2 1/2). I also keep an eye out for signs of that as I was molested as a child so I stay very aware of signs of things such as that.
So what else could cause a child to begin to wet the bed and such? Is she possibly just beginning to sleep "harder" (such as making it harder fo rher to wake to go to the bathroom) or something?
I'm confused by it. She has been potty trained since 18 months.

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 4:22 PM on Dec. 11, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Does she have any symptoms of a UTI? It is possible that a bladder infection or something of the likes is causing her to suddenly wet when she normally doesnt, especially if she was on her way to the bathroom and didnt make it, that makes me think that maybe she is having some bladder spasms associated with an infection. You may want to put a call in and get her urine checked, Im sure she could pee in a cup and I think it would be best just to make sure she doesnt have an infection. Girls are very prone to UTI's and its better to be safe before you start all the other suggestions, especially since it isnt a regular thing. (it is possible to have an infection without other symptoms)
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 5:30 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Shes still a child and she has accidents. It could be shes sleeping deeper or something deeper is going on.
    Anonymous

• I have tried discussing it with her but she simply says "I don't know" when I ask her why she pee'd her pants. I have asked if she is scared of the dark and she said yes so we put in extra nightlights which she said was enough light. I asked her if she was at least trying to make it to the potty and she said yes (on the times she wet her pants). And like I said I know nothing deeper as far as her being 'messed with' is happening.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 4:28 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• its very normal. dont make a big deal of it. just clean her up and put on new pjs and put her back in bed. i remember playing outside when i was very young with cousins and occasionally not making it in time to get to the bathroom. my mom would say just go upstairs and change and go back out... and thats what i did. it will go away. :) good luck. just make sure she isnt afraid of anything.
    Anonymous

• I am not applying that she was molested. If you are worried take her to her doctors. My daughter is four too and wets on accident at night ans sometimes in the daytime. Shes a deep sleeper so we decrease her fluid intakes after a certain point during the evening and we also make sure she tries to use the bathroom before she sleeps. Its normal.
    Anonymous

• Lol, the thing is it is usually the next morning before i find out because she is very intelligent and gets her own clothes out, changes and puts the dirty ones in the dirty clothes and just tells me it happened the next morning. She also remade her bed the other night when she wet the bed. And not like a child would if they were embarrassed because I try not to make her feel embarassed about it, but just as an adult would if they had an accident. = ) I guess I should be happy about that.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 4:32 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• make sure she goes to bed with an empty bladder.
    Anonymous

• My friend's little boy was required to change his bed when he was still having occasional wettings at 5. He didn't like changing his bed himself so he stopped wetting.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 4:36 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• How long before they go to bed is best to stop fluids? One hour... two?
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 4:39 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• maybe she's having nightmares about something she hear ,saw, or even happened.check with her on that,
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 4:27 PM on Dec. 13, 2009