How do I cook fresh asparagus??

After I cook it I plan to grate cheddar cheese over it....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:38 PM on Dec. 11, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Steam it or just pan grill it in a little butter. Do not over cook though, they get stringy of you cook too long.

I like to make a cheese sauce for it.

Melt 2-3 tbls butter in sauce pan, add 2 tblsp flour & combine (will get REALLY thick, paste like) add 1 cup milk or cream (more if you want it thinner), then add all the cheese you want! It takes about 5 minutes to do.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:42 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• I bend each stalk until it snaps so that the tough part is removed, then wash well. Steam or boil for a couple minutes.

Answer by Bmat at 4:40 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• oh yeah, you'll want to stir that cheese sauce constantly while making it.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:43 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• I snap the ends off where they break naturally, rinse, and then for maximum goodness, you're supposed to stand them up in a tall pan, put like an inch of water in the bottom, and steam that way, but my kids won't eat it whole, so I cut it into 1-inch peices, put in a glass bowl with just a bit of water, cover with plastic wrap, and steam in the microwave til done. Drain the water, and my family all prefers to have a bit of butter melted over, with a dash of salt and some black pepper. I also will stir it into a pasta dish, my kids really love it that way!
    Anonymous

• The best way IMO, cut off ends, place on cookie sheet, drizzle with olive oil and liberally salt and pepper them...place them in the oven at about 425 for 20 mins. give or take depending on if you like them crunchy or soft...they get brown and tast fabulous...sprinkle with parm cheese before serving.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 4:49 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• I have to agree with gramsmom; roasted is best, though I like to spinkle with a little balsamic vinegar when they are cooked.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:07 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Ditto on the oven roasting. We mince garlic and put it in melted butter, then brush that onto the asparagus! SO YUMMY!
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 6:29 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• we drizzle them with a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar and cook on the grill if we can. If not, in the over for 15 minutes. I'm cooking them this way for dinner tonight.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:30 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• In a shallow pan put some orange juice to cover bottom and boil the apparagus in the juice for about 3 minutes.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 6:46 PM on Dec. 11, 2009