Almost 11 months old- with chicken pox!

Any advice? I feel like its my fault for letting her play with the older kids, she's so advanced for her age.. she runs and she's so smart and talkative...

Any special secrets for dealing with chicken pox?

Jan0609momma

Asked by Jan0609momma at 4:44 PM on Dec. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• OATMEAL BATH... (aveeno makes a good one-otherwise, put about 1/2 c oats in the blender until it is powder).

just try to keep her comfortable, and unless you're giving her an oatmeal bath, or putting on a cream (calamine clear/gold bond/etc) you need to keep it as dry as possible, and let her go naked as much as possible- clothes trap moisture making it feel MISERABLE... you may need to put something over her hands so she can't itch- mittens are GREAT.

sorry you're having to deal with it, but its better now than later- easier when they are little. she'll be fine, just keep her hydrated and comfortable, and keep those scabs dry! it'll help prevent secondary infections.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:50 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• PP has it! Oatmeal baths, calamine lotion, lots of extra hugs, mittens, and let her nurse as much as she wants.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:03 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• And stop feeling guilty!

Answer by rkoloms at 5:04 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• LUCKY!!!! I've been looking all over for Chicken pox and can't find them!
    I agree with the PP. Oatmeal baths, try not to let her scrach them, calamine loation, heck I'd even squirt breastmilk on her. enjoy the pox!
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 6:01 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• don't feel guilty!!! geez- i'm with pp! i can't find the pox when i need em! lol i have two little boys that need to get it before puberty... wanna rub a blanket on her and send it to me? lol

it really is easier to deal with when they are small.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:19 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• I agree with everyone. Don't feel guilty. Better to get them over with than deal with the vax for the rest of her life. Both of my boys had them over a year after receiving the vax, so they have definitive immunity. DD never got them with her brothers. She we either have to vax herself for the rest of her life or just take her chances.

Just keep her comfy with oatmeal baths and calamine ocean. Call the ped if you think she needs fever meds. Hopefully she will feel better soon.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:36 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• get it over with early!!!
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 6:39 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• I had chicken pox at 3 months old (my sister was 10 years old and gave them to me) and I survived just fine. I don't know if you're BFing or not, but my mom was BFing which caused me to have a much milder case because she passed her antibodies to me.

Zyrtec has recently been approved for babies and it would control the itch. You can call your pediatrician for the right dosage depending on your LO's weight.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 7:38 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Why would you feel bad? It's the chicken pox and now your dd will have life long immunity. she can never catch them again! This is good news, not, I'm a bad mom! Oatmeal baths are great for chic pox and I would NOT use zyrtec, if you need to use calamine lotion. Look up the side effects for zyrtec, I would not give that to my child, ever.
    Anonymous

• Stop worrying or feeling guilty! She could have gotten it ANYWHERE. Church, grocery store, etc. Oatmeal baths, calamine lotion. Keep her hydrated.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:58 PM on Dec. 11, 2009