Major makeover of Wall Street regs passes House, thoughts?

The House passed the most ambitious restructuring of federal financial regulations since the New Deal on Friday, aiming to head off any replay of last year's Wall Street failures that plunged the nation deep into recession.

The sprawling legislation would give the government new powers to break up companies that threaten the economy, create a new agency to oversee consumer banking transactions and shine a light into shadow financial markets that have escaped the oversight of regulators.

The vote was a party-line 223-202. No Republicans voted for the bill; 27 Democrats voted against it.

While a victory for the administration, the legislation dilutes some of President Barack Obama's recommendations, carving out exceptions to some of its toughest provision. The burden now shifts to the Senate, which is not expected to act on its version of a regulatory overhaul until early next year.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 4:57 PM on Dec. 11, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 4:57 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• I think it's great, and long overdue... But I'm sure some people will find some way to talk shit about Obama for this, like they do with EVERYTHING he initiates.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:00 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• I don't like government having anything to do with business. I think they should keep their hands off of it, and likewise. I think that if big business is failing that they should be allowed to fail and not get corporate welfare from the feds. That was another thing I thought Obama was going to change, wasn't it? Yet there he was handing out the bucks to corporations that were too big to fail. I think we should let capitalism reign.

Anonymous

• It lets the government take apart failed, risky firms... Ummm, yea WHO defines if a firm is failing and risky enough for BIG ole Nanny Government to step in?
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:04 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• The legislation "will send a message that we're trying to respond to what got us into this economic meltdown and trying to set up mechanisms to prevent future economic meltdowns," Representative Mel Watt, a North Carolina Democrat, said today in an interview.

Yea, when is someone going to respond to what got us into this housing meltdown ???   Accchem~B A R N E Y  F R A N K...  Slime ball.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:08 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Anouck
    Just because you need a big ole' Nanny Government to take care of you~ Does NOT mean the rest of us need one. Some of us believe in the individual freedom to make our OWN choices without ANOTHER taxpayer funded agency sucking the LIFE out of America and making choices on others best interest.... YAY you and your Nanny Government Loving Self!!!
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:23 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• I think it's highly ironic that one the one hand, the Obama haters want him to fix everything and he's apparently not doing it fast enough, but then if he DOES manage to get something done, all of a sudden he's the big bad wolf interfering with our lives. Which is it, hmmm? Can't have it both ways, ya know....
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:24 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Grlygrlz2, after seeing your comments over the past couple of weeks, I can safely say you're just too stupid for me to even respond to, so shoo. You have no idea what you're talking about. It's sad. Now go play in traffic. I won't respond to your idiotic comments anymore.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:25 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Personal insults when you don't have anything of substance to add. Hey, you are the one being the Nanny Government Cheerleader... It's your thing.. I get it.. Thanks tho ;o)
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:28 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

Where have we said we wanted him to fix everything??? Show me where I said in the beg. He needed to fix everything? He MADE those promises.  We wanted him to (WITHOUT STIMULUS) to offer tax incentives for small business. We wanted a payroll tax holiday. We wanted corporate tax breaks... You know~ THINGS that get businesses GOING again.. We wanted (WITHOUT COSTING TAX PAYER MONEY) him to make small methodical steps to health care reform. NOT THIS huge EXPENSIVE overhaul that reports are now saying will RAISE premiums.... Unless you are one of those dependnent on Nanny Government??

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:32 PM on Dec. 11, 2009