Chore Charts

I have a 6 yr old boy and a 4 1/2 yr old girl...what type of chore charts do you guys use and what do you post on them? also what are their rewards? Im trying to find ways to improve some behavior problems with my son.

MamaSpurg

Asked by MamaSpurg at 5:01 PM on Dec. 11, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Here's a few sites for chore charts:
    http://www.freeprintablebehaviorcharts.com/chorecharts4-10.htm
    http://www.chorecharts.com/Free_Chore_Charts.html
    www.chartjungle.com/chores.html
    http://www.paintedgold.com/Organize/free-chore-chart.html
    For examples of what you could post on your chore charts you can start off with simple things. Don't overload your children, use four chores and after two weeks add two more, or whenever you feel like your children are getting the chores down. Since your children are so young you may want to use pictures that are laminated. So, start off with making bed, cleaning toys up off the floor, brushing teeth before bed, and help set the table. So, you would take your chart and write each chore in a spot. I used stars on mine to start off with then let them pick stickers later on. I started off with having the chart by their bedroom door at their level. Every night we would star everything ...
    AWomansMind

Answer by AWomansMind at 5:26 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• For that age, I would put things like Pick up your toys, Put your laundry in the hamper, pick up your room, They can dust, they can vacuum, they are able to do whatever you think is appropriate really. I used to do a weekly calendar, and then on each day they had assigned chores and when completed, they got a sticker and if you want to treat them to the park or another no cost reward at the end of the week, thats good. Kids work great on a reward system :) and lots of praise for the good things they do, it encourages better behavior. Good Luck
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 5:12 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• I think rewarding with a sticker is fine. But I am not a fan of giving kids 'gifts' 'toys' etc. for doing what they should be doing. If you want to let them choose the friday night meal or choose the family game on game night... that might be fun. But I dont agree with giving them 'things'

To go forward a couple years... I also do not agree with money for grades... which is along the same thought pattern.

Kids should be taught to do what is right and what is their responsiblity... simply because it is the right thing to do and their responsiblity... not because they get something for it.
    Anonymous

• that the child completed that day. I just used an X for things that weren't completed. On a hook right next to their chart was several pictures (pictures of what chores needed to be completed-I took photos of their bed made, their floor clean, of the toothbrush, etc. and laminated them and put a hole through the top for the hook.) As far as rewards go you have to decide what works and doesn't work for your children. Mine had to earn so many stars that week to be able to choose something that was in that point system. I gave my children "(Children's last name) bucks.) They are just dollar bills that have their first letter of their last name on them. They are paid so much for completed chores (usually a buck for each completed chore a day) which they saved and at the end of the week they had a choice to turn them in for something they wanted or they could save them in their pouch for something that "costs" a bit more...
    AWomansMind

Answer by AWomansMind at 5:31 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• My rewards (in which the children would have to pay for) were things like 1/2 hour later bedtime, picking what we were having for supper, 1/2 hour extra time playing a game, one hour playing a game with mom or dad (this was outside of our weekly family game night), a toy purchase (the toy had to be under $10-which usually meant that they were allowed to go to the dollar store or a like place), etc. Then of course I had the "rewards box" in which I pick up little toys and candy and "charge" them if they want something out of it. I also would give bucks for random acts of kindness (such as I saw my oldest son helping his sister on her bike and was being very nice teaching her how to ride...well, he'd get a buck for that.) So, you can use it to help with the attitude. Kids all want to earn something and be proud they did it. They don't know when they'll get paid for being nice because I won't do it everytime, so it's the surprise
    AWomansMind

Answer by AWomansMind at 5:36 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• that keeps them on their toes. I hope these ideas help you and yours out. I'm sorry it was such a book, I could've wrote so much more lol Hope this all helps, any questions just drop by my page and leave me a message and I'll get back to you as soon as I can!
    AWomansMind

Answer by AWomansMind at 5:38 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• http://www.dltk-cards.com/chart/p

http://www.freeprintablebehaviorcharts.com/behaviorcharts3-10.htm (scroll down a bit for the list)
    Anonymous

• those sound like some great ideas! I may have to do the paper dollar idea with a treasure box. I just printed off some chore charts with 3 chores a day to start with. lets hope this works!
    MamaSpurg

Answer by MamaSpurg at 5:43 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Handipoints.com

It is like an epet type website. You print the chore charts and update then online, the kids earn e points for their pet to play games.
    GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Dec. 12, 2009