how do i apply for public assistants and divorce

My husband just left my 2 kids and myself. I've been having trouble getting a job but I have a couple of interviews coming up. Anyway I need some help until then. How do I go about getting assistants and a divorce?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:13 PM on Dec. 11, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Your first stop should be your local DHS office and then contact legal aid to help with the divorce. AT DHS you will have paperwork to fill out and from there a caseworker wil help you with everything excpet the divorce. You can try legal aid, or in some places, providing both parties agree, a paralegal can do all the paperwork for a lot cheaper and then you pay the filing fees, but that is ONLY usually done if both people are in agreement over everything. Good Luck and I hope things work out for you
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 5:17 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• I would focus on the public assitance part first, once you have a job and the funds divorce will be easier. Even if you both agree and do the paperwork yourself your looking at forking outsome money for a divorce.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 5:23 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Call your local Women's Resource Center; they can give you referrals to all the local agency's. If you don't have one of those; look up 211.com; it is the United Ways website for assistance; you can put in your area code and get a listing of all the agencies in your area that help with utilities or Food Banks; etc..

Good Luck; I think I'm headed in the same direction soon - he almost left today but decided he'd try one more time...not even sure if I want him to at this point; but I'm going to try too for the kids.
    Anonymous

• ^^^ Crap I meant zip code; but I assume you get what I meant! lol
    Anonymous

• Do you want assistants (someone to come in and help you) or assistance (money and food stamps)? I think you have to apply at two different places for them.
    Anonymous

• 6:31 - You just had to be a smart ass didn't you??

Anonymous

• 3:31 here--I was trying to answer her question as fully and completely as possible and be of help. More than you did.
    Anonymous

• They have public ASSISTANTS? Ohhhhh, you mean ASSISTANCE, right? Go down to the nearest office, and tell them that you have no job, no income, etc. You will have to file for child support, as you should, because the bastard should not have left you with nothing. They will give you emergency funds, etc.
    Anonymous