fair babysitting price?

ok I am not sure how many days a week it will be yet, or what her schedule will be, but my cousin is looking for a new job. It will probally be minimum wage. She asked me to watch her baby (I LOVE this baby) who is 10 months old when she gets a job. So I pretty much at this time have to give a price to her 'per day' since she most likely will not be full time. I want to be fair but under regular daycare prices to help her out. My kids havent been in daycare for 6 years so I have no idea. At that time I paid $380 a month for an in home daycare full time for one child. Im in California.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:20 PM on Dec. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• I used to charge $30 a day or $6 an hour. Maybe you could give her a discount if she brought meals, diapers, wipes, etc.
    Deathlilly

Answer by Deathlilly at 5:32 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• OP here- yeah I know she'll bring dipes and wipes, but it was the meals I was thinking about too. Milk, when she's one, stuff like that. I know I cant do $6 an hour cause shes a single mom and will only be making a little over that herself.
    Anonymous

• I'm not in Cali, but here's how I would see it...

Since she's probably going to be closer to minimum wage $6-8/hr, you can do a flat $10 dollars a day, but if she ends up making more than $10/hr full time, I wouldn't feel bad charging her $2/hr for the first 4 hrs, $1/hr past that.

I calculate your $380/mo at $12.67 a day. So even $8-10 a day would be fair to you and reasonable to her.

Daycare here is $2.50/hr, and this is for registered and licensed daycares. Consider too that at her age, she's still (most likely) on breastmilk/formula and won't require that you fix an all-out meal for breakfast, lunch or dinner, and the fact that she'll most likely take 2-3 naps a day depending on her schedule.

If she's providing the diapers, the formula/breastmilk, and even some foods (her favorite snacks maybe) which she most likely would, I'd go with $10/day, especially if you're home already
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 5:40 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• $30/day or $6/hr is damn good wages for a babysitter...

Think about it, a babysitter in MT is allowed to have 8 children to babysit, 8 children x 6/hr x 40/hrs a wk... that's $1920/wk if they're only there 8 hrs a day! That's outrageous!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 5:43 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Um I pay 800 a month for daycare, in home but a montesorri type school, moving to CA--LOL I think wait and see what her wage is going to be and charge her 2 hours of pay, ie 10 bucks=20, the only reason I say this is because you are giving up your time, and if her schedule is part time, that may mean she doesn't work the same days, or even same time frames, and it needs to be worth you giving up an evening or sunday! I have seen many problems come into family that feel taken advantage of! Good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 5:49 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Answered at 2:49 PM on Dec. 11, 2009 by: kimigogo
    Um I pay 800 a month for daycare, in home but a montesorri type school, moving to CA--LOL I think wait and see what her wage is going to be and charge her 2 hours of pay, ie 10 bucks=20, the only reason I say this is because you are giving up your time, and if her schedule is part time, that may mean she doesn't work the same days, or even same time frames, and it needs to be worth you giving up an evening or sunday! I have seen many problems come into family that feel taken advantage of! Good luck!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    thanks so much for this. I was just thinking about that. She may work only only 4 hours one day and 8 the next. thanks for the idea for fair pricing
    Anonymous

• The daycare I used to work in last year charged 175 per week for infants. In my home state (WV) we have a program called "connect" that pays for child-care for low income families. For example my friend makes minimum wage and sends her daughter to daycare for about $5 dollars a day based on her income and it is a quality daycare. The same program offers to pay child care expenses for private care as well. It is certainly beneficial if your state offers something similar!

Be sure to let your friend know that you will charge for working "overtime" because it is easy to be taken advantage of when you charge a flat rate. Good luck!
    MirandaLacy

Answer by MirandaLacy at 6:06 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• thank you Miranda. I appreciate it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:06 AM on Dec. 12, 2009