hitting and screaming

Hi, I am a sahm my finance has been traveling away from home more and more every year so basically I am at home raising our daughter alone without much family support and advice. So I am needing some BIG advice on disipline with my daughter. She is 19 mths and hitting me last night we were in my room getting something and when I told her it was time to get out she threw herself on the floor, I picked her up and she slapped me in the face. i put her on timeout when she hits, throws her food on the floor, screams, hits the dog, etc am I doing to many timeouts? I always make her look at me when I tell her what she did wrong and she smiles and gives me a kiss but everyday I am doing this over and over is it part of being a mama or am I over doing the whole time out thing? The scraming , she does it when she isnt getting attention she wants right then I've tried looking at her in the eyes and very stern tell her why she doesnt have

tinkerbellma21

Asked by tinkerbellma21 at 5:39 PM on Dec. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• to scream to get what she needs, this hasnt worked and I have been dealing with this for along time now and she still hasnt learned what else can I try to stop her from screaming and hitting me. I want her to respect me without me spanking or hitting her back the timeouts dont seem to be paying off. Please all the advice would be awsome thanks a ton.
    tinkerbellma21

Answer by tinkerbellma21 at 5:42 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• take away favorite toys
    Anonymous

• When she hits you, immediately put her down if you're holding her, tell her "Don't hit!" in a very firm voice and walk away from her. If you have to, put a baby gate across the door to her room and put her in her room with the door open, baby gate up, and walk away. Tell her "I'll come get you when you stop screaming at me." Don't cave, don't back down. You're Mom, she's Kid, you're in charge.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 6:10 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• I know how you feel and I'm no real advice, taking favorite toys is not going to work.
    When my son is bored of his toys,etc he just gets up to all sorts just to get attention.
    We can't go anywhere with my son playground he runs off on me, shopping carts he tries to escape and empty the cart.
    He use to hit me at around your daughters age, I started rubbing my arm or his arm and saying nice mama, nice whoever and that worked. so when he hits i redirect him into nice mama,etc.
    He use to throw his food on the floor when in a trantrum we got him to pick up his plate when he calmed down.
    My son is 23 months and time out isn't working but it removes him from the situation and fun things which he hates, i heard maybe 6 to 8 months he'll get that little better at social things so here's hoping there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
    At least I know I son is not alone in his behaviour.
    good luck.
    laika

Answer by laika at 6:17 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• she might be missin her dad my lil girl does that stuff beside throwin food on the floor but that could be it she could miss her dad but her in her room without any toy or im her high without anything and walk away from her
    myangelelena

Answer by myangelelena at 6:47 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• A ray of hope for you is that around the time a kid turns 2, they start to develop empathy...like feel sad when you feel sad.

So if she's still hitting by then, you can make it clear saying "ouch, that hurts mommy!" Once my girls empathy started to kick in, that's been much more effective than discipline, because she doesn't like to see me hurt.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:49 PM on Dec. 11, 2009