The more children you have, is it as easy to love them all equally?

This is kind of a spin-off of the Duggar family scenario, but as I eagerly wait for my third child to get to term...I wonder if I will be able to love my kids all the same amount...(I know I will love each one "differently") -- but is it possible to provide the love each child needs when families grow larger??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:41 PM on Dec. 11, 2009 in Just for Fun

• i have 4 and it IS possible. But your first is your first is your first always....and always has a special place in your heart
    cakright

Answer by cakright at 5:42 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• I think it's absolutely possible to love all your kids equally (even if it's "differently"). However, I do believe that when you get to the sheer number the Duggars have, it's not possible to give your kids equal one on one time... I honestly don't doubt the Duggars love all their kids, but the truth of the matter is that the older kids are basically raising the younger ones. One person only has so much time to give, if that makes sense...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:45 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• My grandmother had 8 kids. When somebody asked her if she loved one more she used to say "You have 10 fingers. If someone cuts down one, does it matter which one it is? It'll hurt the same wether it's the ring or the pinky"
    Anonymous

• OP here - Anon, that's an interesting analogy, and of course the loss of a child would probably equally hurt, but assuming they are all still living and well...I would think the "love" would get spread thinner and thinner as the family expands and be less "quality" than if you just had one or two...
    Anonymous

• I have four children and without a shadow of a doubt, love all EQUALLY!
    catholicmamamia

Answer by catholicmamamia at 5:58 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• I have 7 and yes you can love them equally
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 6:07 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• I love my 3 more than ever. I think my third baby actually made me more aware of how much I love my 3 year old twins!
    frat_twin_mama

Answer by frat_twin_mama at 6:15 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• My Grandma and Granpa had 11 kids and she said she didn't like them all the same, but she loved them all the same! I personally think she loved her first born Richard who died when he was 12 the most, but I think because she never got to see him grow up!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 6:15 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• MY SO was worried about being able to "love" our 2nd as much as he did our first. He just couldn't wrap his head around feeling that much for both of them...

So I'll tell you what I told him.

Your heart is the most amazing muscle in your whole body. It is the one muscle in your entire body that with out any effort can grow and grow and grow as big as you need it to. Love is not finite; you can have as much as you need! ♥

Congrats on your new LO
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 6:18 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Now, my mom will say she loved us all equally, but as one of many, too damn many, I can tell you, the love does not always shine through.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 6:26 PM on Dec. 11, 2009