Strange rectal pressure

Okay, I'm 17 weeks preggers with my second baby. With my first, I never felt any braxton hicks contractions at all. Today for the last few hours I've had what started as extreme rectal pressure, it felt somewhat like a contraction, but also much different than I remember. The pain was so bad it made me start to sweat! I've had a few more, but not any in the last few hours. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Julians_Momma

Asked by Julians_Momma at 5:47 PM on Dec. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• um sounds like you need to go take a shit you shouldnt have braxton hicks yet im a nurse at my clinic here so do think im dickin yu around you should go to the bathroom and try itll help
    Anonymous

• It sounds like you are constipated. Have you been able to go to the bathroom lately? I would try to go to the bathroom because being constipated would cause extreme rectal pressure.

As for anon :02... I agree what you probably need to go to the bathroom but I do not agree that you shouldnt have BH by 17 weeks. You can have BH's at any point during pregnancy. However, a BH shouldnt cause rectal pressure. Try going to the bathroom:)
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 6:17 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Thanks, but I'm not constipated at all. And Yes, you can have bh contractions at this stage and even earlier. As far as the anonymous response...I sure hope you're more professional in your work setting and I think you need some more education in your field, if you are really a nurse. Thanks anyway!
    Julians_Momma

Answer by Julians_Momma at 7:52 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• You can start having contractions in the late first trimester so you are right to wonder but as for the pressure...your best way of knowing if it is contractions is to put your hand over where your uterus is below the belly button and feel for obvious tightening.
    croneasm

Answer by croneasm at 10:42 PM on Dec. 11, 2009