Should I worry about if scar tissue is developing in my lungs?

I know scar tissue in the lungs can decrease healthy function and I already have less than healthy function due to asthma, and I also know if a respitory infection is severe enough that it can leave scars on the lung tissue. I get both pneumonia and bronchitis 1 to 2 times each a year. At least one of those times every year so far has been severe enough to land me in he hospital because the infection causes my asthma to kick into high gear and my oxygen levels drop and my respiration is low enough that many times the doctors consider intubation but only actually had to be done once - usually a strong dose of steroids gets me breathing better on my own. Should I worry that these infections are leaving permanent damage on my lungs? It's been this way since I was about 13 years old and I'm 23 now so I just sometimes get worried that 10 - 20 years from now I'll have serious issues with my lung function.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:58 PM on Dec. 11, 2009 in Health

• Get an opinon with a pulm. specialist not just a regular internist. My 17 year old daughter has had asthama since she was 3 months, medically started then put not diagnosed for years. Once a year she goes for the easy noninvasive pulm. function test. Her breathing for since at least 2005 is 75 percent lung power of what's normal for weight and height. So getting tested for that and tracking it from past years can help doctors decide how severe your lungs are between breathing w/o illnesses and w/illnesses.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 6:07 PM on Dec. 11, 2009