occasional pain withnursing while pregnant

hi there- my dd is 25 mo old and I am 28 weeks pregnant tom- occasionally when I nurse her if she nurses too fast or for longer than normal I get like a burning sensation in my breast- I think I only have colostrum now because it's clear and not milky looking- could it be that she is draining the breast or is it something else? I really want to continue and do tandem nursing and she is no where near ready to give it up- if I take it away before she is asleep at nap time and bed time she gets really upset- like hurt feelings- not the ticked off cry...any thoughts?

momasoonto2

Asked by momasoonto2 at 6:46 PM on Dec. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• no 25 months isn't too old! What is wrong with the anons and their bitchy answers? Sorry I couldn't BF so I have no idea...
    SebsMom29

Answer by SebsMom29 at 6:53 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• I nursed my toddler until I was about 30 weeks prengnant with my second. I can tell you that the pregnancy hormones do make your nipples more sensitive and towards the end it can get uncomfortable.

That being said, any time someone says "burning" when describing a pain when nursing I think thrush. Burning certainly sounds like thrush. You should call your OB and get it treated fast before it gets worse.

As far as the colostrum thought, you definitely still have milk. Later on it gets thinner because your body adapts and makes the kind of milk your baby needs at different stages. Also, the foremilk is way thinner than the hindmilk. The milk you'll see before or at the start of the feeding will be the thinner foremilk.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 7:02 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Thank you to the helpful responses! to the ones who were too cowardly to even put their names, please don't respond or bash me for choices you may not agree with for yourself- I don't bash you or others for things I don't agree with, I simply don't reply...being a mom is hard enough with out external criticism from Anons...don't you agree?
    momasoonto2

Answer by momasoonto2 at 7:06 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• It sounds like your supply might be decreasing. That can happen, it would be normal. You can work to get through and know that once milk supply comes back in this will all be history.
    That happened to me around that time, too. I had a good 12 months of tandeming after delivery.

btw~ ANY age is not "too old" if that is what a mom and HER child desire.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 7:20 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Hmm.. "Burning" feeling. Is it at all like letdown? You might not be drying up, you might actually be making more milk. Or your breast tissue might just be tender from pregnancy hormones. Is it very painful? You can try nursing for slightly shorter durations and explain that "we're only going to nurse for 5 minutes now, sweetie" and see if your little one is willing to accept it.

Kudos on nursing so long, hope you get to make your goal of tandem nursing. :)

As for people that are bashing you... GRR.. Breastmilk is perfectly appropriate for a 2 year old. Or a 3 year old. Or a 4 year old. Or any age until the child self-weans. I wish people would read up on it before jumping into judgment and making themselves look uneducated.
    Gruntlings

Answer by Gruntlings at 9:56 PM on Dec. 11, 2009