Confirmation Sono?

My OB says they do a confirmation sono to make sure there is a heartbeat. I think I am only 4 weeks along as of now. They scheduled my sono for December 30. The lady didn't seem to know what she was doing. Is that enough time for a heartbeat to sure up for sure? Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:20 PM on Dec. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• The heart beat can be seen at 6 weeks! :D So yep you should be able to see it by then
    firethearson

Answer by firethearson at 7:22 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• should be i got to see the heartbeat with this preg at 5 weeks 5 days so it can happen
    neonangel2188

Answer by neonangel2188 at 7:33 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• They should not be doing routine ultrasounds to check for a heartbeat. The ACOG (American College of Obstetrics and Gynecologists) doesn't even recommend routine ultrasounds, and certainly not so early. U/S do come with risks, they should not be used without just cause.
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 9:05 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

what risks does it come with? I had a confirmation sono at 5wks to check for a heartbeat.
    Anonymous

• i had confirmation sono's with both of my kids...after the inital ultrasound to make sure everything was where it should be and to make sure my dates were correct.

so im kinda confused, what risks come with it?
    MamaSusieQ045

Answer by MamaSusieQ045 at 10:23 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• theres no risk
    Anonymous

• There is no concrete data one way or the other that I'm aware of. But there is thought to be a risk in early pregnancy, due to the waves heating up the amniotic fluid...at least thats what I heard. Around here, unless you have problems, you get one u/s and thats around 20 weeks. Thats how all my friends docs and midwives do it too...So I am shocked at how often some women on here get them.
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 10:31 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• ultrasound in excess of 120 dB may lead to hearing loss and any higher like 180 can lead to death. But those db's are very well controlled. Have you ever heard of anyone dying from having an ultrasound? i never have and i'm in the medical field.
    Anonymous

• I had an internal at a month or so prego. They wanted to check to make sure that i wasnt having an eptopic pregnancy because i had soo much pain. But you could see her looked like a little peanut and i watched her heartbeat and i was only a month pregnant so yes you can see it. I know that unless there is something wrong they usually dont do one till around 20 weeks or so. But you may or may not get the heartbeat i couldnt hear it cause it was so small but we could see it. Plus it was an internal and not a regular ultrasound on the tummy so i dunno if that makes a difference or not.. GOOD LUCK MOMMA
    kelsbug05

Answer by kelsbug05 at 10:37 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• I have spoken to my sister, who is a sonographer, and my OB about this very thing. They both said there is no risk to me nor the baby at any point during pregnancy. They said the waves might send a tiny bit of warmth to the placenta IF they were to use a high frequency for an extended period of time with no breaks. And even then there is no evidence that that is bad for the baby. OB said there's a greater chance of harm taking a bath that is too hot. I have had 9 Ultrasounds and I'm 21 weeks. We have had a few complicatons and we have to keep an eye on the baby. 3 of the U/S were to check for Downs Syndrome.

Good luck at your sono in a couple weeks. There's nothing like seeing/hearing it for the first time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on Dec. 12, 2009